Backyard Photos With My 2X Extension

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went out in the back yard this evening and was playing with my Sigma 150-600 Sports Lens. I have the 2X extension which I have not used much. I decided to play with it a little. So, I mounted my 5D to a tripod and away I went. Here are a few photos I took. Some are not quite in focus as much as I would have liked. But, I think they are pretty good considering it was one of the first times I have used the extension. what do you think?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Nice set (#7 for me) and that tele is whopping! All I can say about the focus is I'm learning that sometimes with long focal lenses that have more trouble focusing you sometimes have to take a dozen pics or more of the same thing to get one pic with tack sharpness on the eye. I know, I suffer from "shy finger syndrome" and sensoritis. :allteeth:

Thanks. 7 is my favorite too.

Great set Scott! :icon_salut: Your are correct about the focus but it is not your technique. Everything about these photos is spot on - lighting, composition, etc. It is the TC. They are notorious for producing this type of focus. After seeing the results of photos taken with a TC you can almost tell by the way they look that they were taken with a TC. I have the 150-600mm contemporary with a 1.4 TC and my images turn out having that same "slightly out of focus" look. Also, I agree with Kirk that you almost always have to take dozens of shots to get that one that is spot on. Honestly I have never heard a "good" reason why this occurs. There are many on this forum that have far more experience than I so maybe we can get a lot of good opinions concerning this phenomena!

Well these are not in critically sharp focus, When seen small on my phone screen they look pretty good, but zooming in to high magnification reveals that the depth of field or focus is not perfect in most of these.

Birds are a particularly good use for a telephoto converter. I think a couple of your compositions are really good!

Most reactions

Back