Bad lens, dirty sensor, or something awesomely crappy that I didn't even think of?

ifeilmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a link to a picture that I took a few days ago. My issue is the hazy blue look around anything that has light hitting it. The photo was taken with a Canon t1i with a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III at f/5.6, 1/160 s, ISO 100, @ 300mm with a UV filter on the lens. I used a tripod set on a little bridge to take the photo. I've had this haze and/or misfocus occur on a lot of pictures in different situations, even with much faster shutter speed and variable apertures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's called chromatic aberration. It has been suggested that if you are using a UV filter to take it off and see if that solves the problem. It is something that is very common in high contrast areas on photos...

You will get the best information by doing a google search for "What is Chromatic Aberration" :) I don't want to give you wrong information, but I do know what I have said so far is correct :)

Let me google that for you

Yeah - that's CA (chromatic aberration).

High contrast can bring it out, and less than the best lenses (like yours - no offense) tend to show it more...

You may remove the filter and still have the issue. This is a very common issue with lower priced budget lenses. Even expensive lenses can have some CA, but usually its much more controlled and much easier to remove in post. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it unless you want to upgrade lenses. It occurs in high contrast areas where bright highlights meet darker areas.

"Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III at f/5.6, 1/160 s, ISO 100, @ 300mm with a UV filter on the lens."

Most of the image quality issues are right there....the 75-300 AND the long end of the zoom range PLUS a UV filter...a veritable recipe for a poor photo.

"Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III at f/5.6, 1/160 s, ISO 100, @ 300mm with a UV filter on the lens."

Most of the image quality issues are right there....the 75-300 AND the long end of the zoom range PLUS a UV filter...a veritable recipe for a poor photo.

Thanks for the help everyone. Anyone wanna buy me a new lens? ;)

It's not just the lens. Take the UV filter off, and unless you've got a super sturdy tripod and it's a calm day, just humor me and take a shot at 1/500s @ f/8. See if your image quality improves. The UV filter isn't protecting your optics more than it's damaging it.

Its the lens....I have the same lens and the same problem.
Stopping it down a few f-stops helps a bit, but the lens simply isn't the best

Most reactions

New Topics

Back