Badge and Gun - Last re-shoot...

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I hope this thread isn't putting anyone off, but I'm trying to use the suggestions you are giving me to make this photo the best I can. This will be my last revision on this shot, so let me know what you think. I like #2 the best, IMO.

Without further ado...........

1. I Decided to try all B/W for this one. And yes, I am aware the badge PP doesn't look good. No excuses, I just screwed it up and ran our of steam to fix it...
gunandbadge7.jpg

2. On this one, I also decided to try the frame as B/W only leaving the badge with color.
gunandbadge5.jpg

3. I know the colors are off on this one, but it was the best I could come up with. The colors on the gun itself are actually very close to accurate with the way it's finished, but it bled over to the rest of the frame. :er:
gunandbadge6.jpg

Here's a quick link back to my last effort, so you can see the difference between that one and this one.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-photo-gallery/210276-badge-gun-take-two.html

As many suggested, I adjusted the composition to show more of the gun, and laid the badge across the handle. I also shot it from a higher angle and gave it more direct light instead of from such a low angle. I also ended up cutting a hole in a piece of foam board to get rid of that reflection in the badge. I still had to PP the hell out of the badge, but I think it turned out ok. I'm really not happy with the way the badge turned out, but I was focusing more of my efforts on the composition and lighting. I also tried hard to ensure nothing got blown out, exposure wise...

Last edited:
2 and 3 are really good.

This is the best version of the Badge and Gun shoots due tot he fact that you can see pretty much all of the gun as you can the badge. In the first and 2nd shoots, you had the badge covering up too much of the gun. Though I did like the shell casings added in with the first shoot.

Pretty cool shoot. I like the selecrive coloring in #2. It hard to pull off. I k.ow it was mentioned.that you should get the pistol in frame but for the SC on the badge I would set the badge a little more alone from the gun. Just for selective coloring.
The.series is.good all and all and unlike the others I like 1.
I got the chance to to look back at your 2nd posting. The selective coloring on #2 is what I was talking about. I like it and its better then the new version imo.for the blgck and white and color I like the new versions.

Last edited:
Wow, I saw your other versions and I have to say you have done a really good job on these, always good to see someone follow a project through to success.

IMO and bear in mind I am not usually a fan of B&W, No1 is a stellar example of awesome.

Nice improvement from "take two". You got a nice even reflection on the gun. I like 3 the best. I think I'd try to selectively boost the contrast on the badge to make the details pop a little more. Some of you badge shots from take two are a little better with respect to the contrast (although, you got a nice even reflection on these shots).

Overall, I think you got real close to where you were going with these. Nice job.

Thanks, Ralph

These look better than the first tries. The camera's vantage point and the way the subject matter is positioned are both more pleasing.

I really like #2. The fact that the gun is not in color gives it more of a "cold steel" feel to it - which works really well for me when I think of guns.

#2 is definately the best.

Just out of curiosity why do the have "UoW" Engraved on your badges instead of just saying Police Officer?

Thanks for all the replies! It feels good to have progressed this far with it. This was a shot I really wanted to get, but was starting out with only a vision in my head.

For all my fellow noobs out there, this was a REALLY GOOD example of how this forum, and the combined experience and opinions of the others on here, from beginner to pro, can help you, so long as you're willing to listen!! It was hard, but I set my pride aside and realized many on here have good (even great) ideas and if you just try them, and the results can spectacular!

This shoot took me three revisions, several hours of PP, and I had to learn at least 10 new photo techniques and 10 new features in Photoshop. I would say it has proven to be a valuable learning experience for me.

Thanks TPF and those who are willing help us noobies learn!

Most reactions

Back