Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oookay...maybe this is a stupid question, but I didn't find anything in a google search. I'm making an apple pie..homemade crust, but canned filling. So..with the canned filling, do I put it in the oven for the same amount of time as I would if the filling were homemade? And if anyone has any tips on making this damn crust, I'd be grateful. I remember doing this in foods class in high school, and I SUCKED at it!

I won't know how they feel til I open the can when I go to make it! But I'll keep it in mind. So if it's soft, then should I put it in for less time?

I already have a recipe for the crust...I've been told by many...even though I know it's not the healthiest for ya, to use a recipe that uses lard. And it just so happens that I have access to some. So Ima try it! I'm told that it makes the yummiest flakiest crusts! :)

I do eventually plan to make the entire thing, the filling and all, from scratch, but I just don't have time this week, and I want to make something nice for Erik's (the bf) birthday! So he'll get a partially homemade pie! Thanks for the info Ferny! :)

I won't know how they feel til I open the can when I go to make it! But I'll keep it in mind. So if it's soft, then should I put it in for less time?

You can't really. You'll have to cook it until the crust is done. Any less and it'll be soggy. Any more and it'll burn.
The filling is easy to make. You could go all simple with just apple, sugar and some cloves.

Ok...we'll just have to see how it turns out then. Not sure when I'm gonna even have a chance to make it!!!! I hope for Thursday though...maybe. Damn work!

I was just saying...

You know you can buy pastry ready made don't you? I wouldn't recommend it for taste reasons. Unless you're making puff/flaky or filo pasty. Then buy it!

ferny said:
I was just saying...

You know you can buy pastry ready made don't you? I wouldn't recommend it for taste reasons. Unless you're making puff/flaky or filo pasty. Then buy it!
I know, but my whole purpose is to learn to make it homemade. Yeah, I know, I'm cheating with the filling, but it's the crust I have problems with, so I want to concentrate on that for now.

Ferny's correct, ya hafta cook for the crust and the filling goes along for the ride.
I'm glad to see you're using lard in the crust, it tastes sooooo much better!
Who wants wimpy arteries anyway? We need these good hard ones!

*giggles like the immature child he is*

mrsid99 likes it good an' 'ard

*giggles some more*

Corry, the crust is easy. As long as you follow the instructions for making it, let it chill for 20 mins before you put it in the oven all will be fine and don't leave it in the oven to burn.

Oh, one tip. When you cover the pie with pastry leave excess hanging over the sides, don't trim it neatly. The pastry will shrink and you may end up with a gap around the edge in places. Trim it after the crust is cooked and it'll be neat and tidy.

ferny said:
*giggles like the immature child he is*

mrsid99 likes it good an' 'ard

*giggles some more*

Aaarrrrr! lard 'ard!

Most reactions

Back