Bakpack/Camera case

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am unsure where to post this topic. But I chose this forum as it seemed to make sense to me...

I am an amateur photographer with a Canon 50D, a couple lenses and a tripod...

I also enjoy hiking. Overnight or multi-day hikes in particular.

I am unsure where to look to find a good backpack for hiking that would offer storage/protection for my camera gear.

Any advice on where I might find something like this would be welcome and appreciated.

For hikes, I like to use a Lowepro Primus AW bag. It has a compartment on the bottom for the camera, 70-200, 10-22 and 28-75. I could fit a flash in there too. Top part allows for some gear and extra equipment. Outside sleeve can fit a small laptop or jacket.

Lots of straps to ensure the bag fits snug.

If you are looking for a bigger bag for much longer hikes / multi day trips, I have no clue.

I have this backpack thing that will hold 3 lenses, my 7D, flash, and a tripod.. PLUS, and your going to LOVE this.. It has a raincoat attached to it in case it rains. I used it the other day!!
I got mine at Bestbuy-- I paid.. 80ish or so for it. Which, I thought was a lot--But I liked it better than the camera bags.
I swear my backpack is 20 lbs with everything in it.

If you are looking for a bigger bag for much longer hikes / multi day trips, I have no clue.

I am looking for something bigger. Something that will allow for clothing/camping gear as well as some camera gear.

Thanks for your input though.

I have this backpack thing ...

Is it something you strap to your pack? Do you have a brand name/model number I could look up?

Last edited:
I have done a bit of backpacking myself, And I would suggest finding a backpack that is designed for backpacking and is a good size and fit for your backpacking needs. Then make some space in one of the most accessible compartments for your camera gear.

There are also several backpacks that offer a detachable day-pack, which could be used for your camera bag, and easily take that bag on side hikes or day trips.

I also enjoy hiking. Overnight or multi-day hikes in particular.

I am unsure where to look to find a good backpack for hiking that would offer storage/protection for my camera gear.

Packing for a hike overnight is very different from packing for multi-day adventures.

My advice is against a camera back pack all together. Backpacks (frame, internal frame .. what ever) are specifically designed for comfort and comfort should be your number ONE priority. You should get outfitted with the proper back pack and then work on making your equipment fit securely/safely inside. Working in the opposite direction is just going to result in an unpleasant trip (or even physical injury).

Same as shoes... you find a selection of shoes that fit comfortably then decide which fits your style. You don't find shoes that fit your style then try to make them comfortable.

Wrapping towels around your lenses and camera worked for me just fine. I later would strap my shoulder bag to my frame with the heaviest towards my shoulder height.

Thanks guys. I have a couple good packs already... I guess its just a matter or finding a good way to pack my photo gear.

Dumb question ---> Anyone know where I would look for those padded dividers that you use in camera bags?

I have a lowepro - I love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back