Ball type tripod heads

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into ball head tripod mounts. The cheaper ones don't have "tension control". If I get one without tension control, when I loosen the ball to change position, does head come completely loose and the camera just flops around? That seems a bit dangerous if you have on a heavy lens the whole shebang could fall down. There's also the small incremental adjustments you'll need to make. I've never played around with ball heads, but I'm guessing that tension control is probably a must, and well worth the extra money. Your Thoughts? Thanks, Tom Beard

I'm looking into ball head tripod mounts. The cheaper ones don't have "tension control". If I get one without tension control, when I loosen the ball to change position, does head come completely loose and the camera just flops around? That seems a bit dangerous if you have on a heavy lens the whole shebang could fall down. There's also the small incremental adjustments you'll need to make. I've never played around with ball heads, but I'm guessing that tension control is probably a must, and well worth the extra money. Your Thoughts? Thanks, Tom Beard

Basically yes they will tend to flop. You can learn to loosen it slowly so it doesn't or hold the camera with one hand or you can spend the money for a better head. A really good ball head is going to cost you some money. A really good ball head should also last you a lifetime if it is cared for. Spread over a number of years the cost of a good ball head is pretty cheap.

The other thing to consider is the camera mount on the ball head. My preference is the Arca-Swiss type. RRS, Kirk, Markins, Arca-Swiss and Acratech to name a few all make top quality ball heads and all are Arca-Swiss compatible. They can all be configured for other QR plates if you choose. Personally I find the Arca-Swiss to be the most secure and stable and the most versatile. I use the RRS BH 55, but any of the above are outstanding.

Most reactions

Back