Basel Panorama

twoshoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello
This was taken during the European Football Championship, the bright white square is one of the screens showing the matches. I'm not sure whether it spoils or adds to the panorama. Any comments would be appreciated, good or bad. Thank you.

2670377473_75f11053fa_b.jpg
[

Heya twoshoes, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Wonderful nighttime photography here, and of a place where I have only been once (back in 1982 it was), but also a place I have meant to re-visit ever since (only I never did).

Without your explanation of why there is this big, bright, white (blown), and reflecting in the lens flare, square, it does this photo harm much rather than help it. WITH your explanation, however, it is a different matter all together. Gives this photo an all new dimension.

So the screen was on the edge of the bridge and people watched from the bank of the River Rhine?

Thank you for that, a good point. I agree that with the explanation it seems less like an obnoxious glare and more like part of the scene. I may go back and try it again now that it's been taken down. Yes the spectators were seated on stands built on the banks, they can just about be seen half way to the bridge on the right hand side.
Thank you for your comments and the welcome.

Welcome to TPF, twoshoes!

What a beautiful nighttime scene! I like how my eye is drawn to the convergence of the bridge and the lights along the bank on the right side of the shot, to the lovely old building. I think, though, that the whiteness of the screen so close to the middle of the shot is a bit distracting, so if you have a chance to go back for a reshoot at dusk, now that the screen has been taken down, that would be awesome.

Very nice shot! As the others have said, the screen is a distraction without knowing what it is. Unfortunate, I think it would have been cool if you got a shot of what was on the screen, and added it in. But all in all, very nice pan0rama!

Most reactions

Back