Basic Filters

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've got a *ist D on route to me to use with my current Pentax lenses. One of the lenses has a filter on it, but I don't remember if it is anything special. I think it mostly to protect the glass. Just wondering what would be recommended for filters for a basic kit.

So I've got a *ist D on route to me to use with my current Pentax lenses. One of the lenses has a filter on it, but I don't remember if it is anything special. I think it mostly to protect the glass. Just wondering what would be recommended for filters for a basic kit.

Some people put useless UV filters on their lenses to protect from scratches. I think this is what you are referring too. Some people believe the cheap uv filters can impede the image quality of your pictures. Some people use hoods instead of uv filters, and some daredevils don't even use one. This is up to you.

Additional filters you may want to consider are:

A circular polarizer - Kindofa must if you take pictures outside

If you are big on landscapes and/or waterfalls you need a neutral density filter and a graduated neutral density filter. The adjustable ones such a the Cokin P series (or equiv) are the best for graduated nd filters.

If you google circular polarizer and/or graduated nd filters you will find much more information.

Most other styles of filters are now redundant due to advances in software.

There are varying opinions on the use of UV filters as "Front element protectors". Personally, I'm a fan of it, and have either UV filters or B+W clear glass "filters" on all of my lenses. As far as effects filters, here's my recommendations:

1. Circular polarizer to enhance contrast between sky and cloud, to make colours "pop" and to reduce/eliminate glare and reflection on subject surfaces.

2. Graduated Neutral Density filters for use in landscape and outdoor work to prevent over-exposed skies and/or underexposed ground areas. Works by having a darker, but optically clear area at the top transitioning to clear at the bottom.

3. Neutral Density filters, as above, but the whole filter is dark; used when you need a longer shutter speed, for instance to get the soft, flowing effect commonly seen in waterfall images.

hi guys,
meanwhile we're discussing filters here, I am also hunting for a uv and c-pol filter from B+W. They have the MRC and non-MRC type. Does it actually really bad if its not MRC as far as the built?

I was thinking of maybe doing non-MRC UV and MRC c-pol since it will be on the outside thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back