Basic Photography 1100

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I met with my professor today, to go over my projects, and talk about my future. We chatted for about 25 minutes, and in the end, he told me my grade.

I got an A! Woo hoo!

I'm taking Color Photography next semester and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to shoot some 4x5 Velvia through my Crown Graphic :)

Ok, no more coffee for me today :p

BIG congrats on the A, Matt! :cheer:

But I agree with Mark: anything less would have been surprising. ;) I'm sure your teacher enjoyed having someone with your talent as a student.

Thanks everyone :) My wife, who was taking the class with me, got an A too :p

Philip: I have no idea how old my Crown is. It was given to me as payment for services from the digital lab I use. The guy got rid of all his old film eq. He gave me an 8x10 view camera as well. Too bad the film is so expensive :p

nice one! 4*5 velvia is awesome.
good ol reliable digital matt.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks everyone :) My wife, who was taking the class with me, got an A too :p

Philip: I have no idea how old my Crown is. It was given to me as payment for services from the digital lab I use. The guy got rid of all his old film eq. He gave me an 8x10 view camera as well. Too bad the film is so expensive :p

I'm obviously much older than you are Matt, and had the immense benefit of growing up with film, and shooting most of my work on 5x4, and for something extra special shot on 10x8. I have spent many enjoyable hours under my black cloth concentrating on the ground glass. Compared with digital it's like planning your shot on a TV screen. I believe Digital and Photoshop has reduced the quality of the current batch of photographers and final images. I would often spend a full day working on a single still-life image. I learnt very early to aim for perfection in the initial image, but Photoshop has made many photographers lazy knowing they can fix a problem in Photoshop. I do it myself, but only when I know I can spend an hour fixing a problem with my lighting that I can fix in Photoshop in 30 seconds. Didn't mean to rave on, sorry about that.
Congratulations to you wife as well....:thumbup:

Thanks everyone :)

Philip Weir said:
I'm obviously much older than you are Matt, and had the immense benefit of growing up with film, and shooting most of my work on 5x4, and for something extra special shot on 10x8. I have spent many enjoyable hours under my black cloth concentrating on the ground glass. Compared with digital it's like planning your shot on a TV screen. I believe Digital and Photoshop has reduced the quality of the current batch of photographers and final images. I would often spend a full day working on a single still-life image. I learnt very early to aim for perfection in the initial image, but Photoshop has made many photographers lazy knowing they can fix a problem in Photoshop. I do it myself, but only when I know I can spend an hour fixing a problem with my lighting that I can fix in Photoshop in 30 seconds. Didn't mean to rave on, sorry about that.
Congratulations to you wife as well....:thumbup:

Philip, rave on. I hear what you are saying. I'm forcing myself to slow down. I take my time with digital, but I really take my time with 645, and I imagine staring at the ground glass with fill my stomach with enough butterflies to keep me pondering exposure and composition for hours :p

Charlie, I've been meaning to ask you about that. Sounds fun. How can I make a positive print then from that negative? Contact print? The paper is much less translucent than an actual negative, so I imagine printing times would be much longer.

Congrats, Matt. You know I'm a big fan of BW, but Color Photography was one of my favorite classes. Check out Henry Horenstein's book "Color Photography".

Be cautious if you are printing using the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome process (positive print from positive transparency). That stuff is dangerous, like gene warping, cancer causing dangerous.

Thanks Matt. I have Henry's books, both black a white, beyond black and white, and color. He's great. I'm not sure what kind of processing we'll be doing. I know that we are not processing our own negatives. Only making prints, and there is a print processor. I've heard that once it breaks, it's gone, and they will just go digital.

Most reactions

Back