basic PS critique and instruction

EricBaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i got photoshop yesterday after a few months shooting digital. I basically have no idea what im doing.

So if you guys could throw out some opinions and advice, id have to say thanks. im eager to learn.

here are some shots i tried to mess around with.

original
DSC_0091-1.jpg

post - looking at it now it seems a bit too blue. and the rider kind of looks fake or too digital?
DSC_0091pshopped.jpg

original
DSC_0123.jpg

post- i like how the orange pops a bit more. and i cropped it cuz i felt like there was too much sky
DSC_0123pshopped.jpg

original
DSC_0142-1.jpg

post- i dunno if the sky looks too unnatural but i like how theres more detail on the rider/
DSC_0142pshopped.jpg

original
DSC_0189-1.jpg

post- just some saturation and hue to brighten the foliage
DSC_0189pshopped.jpg

original
shrewsanduag029-1.jpg

post- i dunno what to do with this one
shrewsanduag029pshopped.jpg

I think you have done ok with these images, in terms of post process. I think you should do more at the scene, to get the image you want, and not rely so much on PS. Most of these shots ould have benefited from fill flash. I see in one of them you used flash, but not as fill, but rather the main source of light, which has killed the mood.

i agree and for the most part i dont like postproduction as ive shot film for quite some time.

I was just looking for some help or instruction with photoshop for a few shots that had the potential to be good but could use some sprucing up.

ive so far tried to stay away from using the flash because i havent yet been able to afford one and the built in unit on my d70s is way harsh.

anyonel else?

what would you have done differently?

and thanks DM, i didnt mean to sound like a jerk in my last post, after rereading it it kida seemed like that to me.

what kind of flash would you recomend?

One very popular technique with this kind of subject matter is to get a good flash unit (as Matt suggests the own-brand Nikon Speedlights) and to use it off-camera at about 45deg to your subject. Also, use the widest possible lens and get right up close (if you dare) to enhance the sense of movement and height.

Good work anyway, a bit of tweaking on the lighting and it'll be much easier to get the shots you're thinking about.

Rob

Hope you don't mind, but I had five mins to spare ... and I do mean 5 mins!! :lol:

shrewsanduag029-1.jpg

What did I do? Auto levels, took some of the highlights up with curves, slight tweak on the contrast / brilliance, quick unsharp mask... There's a lot more that could be done, but I think it looks a bit more dramatic now... looks a bit grainy though ... maybe need to look a bit closer at ISO settings next time.. just a thought

i did have the iso set pretty high on that last one, the park was in a dark, dusty wharehouse, i was shooting most with of the time with the pop up flash just so id have enough light. that shot was kind of a spur of the moment idea to turn the flash off and catch the silhouette. Next time ill think to change the iso too. Thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back