Basic terms and functions

Moa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am severely new to photography and I am wondering what all these words being thrown at me mean. What do words like shutter speed, and all the other photography terms mean? Also my camera has a bunch of manual setting that I don't quite understand (I have an oldish sony cybershot DSC-H7) so I need to know what they do there is the ISO____ setting another on that is F____ and another setting with no prefix and is just a number, what are these settings? There is also a number that changes with lighting I believe that says EV after a positive or negative number what does that mean?

Welcome. You'll find that posts asking for an "Explanation of photography" are generally not well received as they are extremely broad in scope, and would books to explain fully. However, here are a couple of references which may help. This photographic dictionary will define just about every term you may need. Your camera's manual is another excellent resource.

Thanks for the links.

instructions for your camera are extremely helpfull also for that info.

Ya I know but that is long gone.

It's a superzoom point and shoot. If the manual for the Sony is anything like the one for my fuji, it is completely useless to someone who wants to learn photography.

Moa said:
Ya I know but that is long gone.
No it's not! Just check the link provided by tirediron :D

Oh just noticed that the one for the H9 and H7 are the same one. So if my current camera is useless what would you recommend that wouldn't burst a budget?

Your camera isn't useless, just the instruction manual is useless for learning anything photography related (assuming based on mine, I didn't look at the Sony manual.)

You can do a lot with a superzoom like that Sony. I do a lot with my Fuji. My $200 Fuji takes better photos with me behind the lens than my friend's $1500 worth of Canon XTi and accessories with him behind the lens.

Learn about photography. Learn about composition and the 3 bases for exposure (aperture, shutter, and ISO.) Here's a couple of links to get you started out....

Digital Camera Help
ShortCourses

Some more good reading and learning:

Cambridge in Color
Luminous Landscape

What the simple manual of a camera such as ours will help with is, how to adjust the settings after you learn what those settings are for.

Again, your camera is definitely not useless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back