battered angel

Jon,

This shot to me is amazing and I'm not just saying this for the hell of it. There is some really interesting lighting and tones going on with the stone, it almost looks alive with that dead sky, and amn the sky could be a shot in it self. The tree in the shot is ok for me, not the strongest part of the shot but being it's off to the right, it does not distract much but it does create some cool contrasts!

Scott

aprilraven said:
i dont agree about the crop...the whole focal of the pic to me is not necessarily the angel.... where does an angel go eventually...is the sky not really the whole concept of heaven....hense the sky works in this...

the trees represent struggles the angel has to go thru to finish her job...
and the fact they are overhanging her, and crowding her, makes this whole thing work, with the tremulous sky over head.. casting an eerie glow of indecision, and her having already fought a hard won battle...

if you crop it... its just a stone angel ..with her leg hanging out of her dress...

I thought it was just a pretty picture :blushing:

i took a few of your suggestions and reworked it some....i don't know though, it looks brighter in PS than here in preview. oh well, i may just trash it and reshoot some time at a different angle. i thought the sky was a tad noisy, so i calmed that as well. btw, this was shot through the R72 filter like the Capitol shot.

54900497-O.jpg

yer gonna trash it? you may find me out back late night diggin thru yer trash :lol:
mind if I post my subtle interpretation? think you just went too dark here and IMO it doesn't need a crop.

JonK said:
yer gonna trash it? you may find me out back late night diggin thru yer trash :lol:
mind if I post my subtle interpretation? think you just went too dark here and IMO it doesn't need a crop.

have at it man...i suck at PS. keep in mind if it's good, i'll be asking you to edit all my shots! :mrgreen:

OK...just converted to BW, curves tweak, sharpen and a bit of contrast. Thought it looked nice with a tint too.

I think it's a strong image and the branches make it more so IMHO.

bw4eq.jpg

sepia2fn.jpg

and a little vignetting - jus quick; not good
vignette7gy.jpg

anybody like these? didn't really do much.

awesome conversions Jon. wish i knew my way around PS like most of you. i can crop and make frames ;)

thanks for posting these! :thumbup:

I think the sky take one's eye away from the subject., another crop with less sky would work for me, the sky and the tree alone would have been cool., over all, an awesome shot., continued fun reworking it.

opps.. this is Ray.. Changed Id to creat a post for Daisy., coming up.

Yeah, if by "on the fence" you meant "I was standing on a fence somehow when I took this, then I would have no choice but to take your word for it and agree.

Otherwise...dude, this shot is amazing.

And I really like the 3rd rework that Jonk has done here too.

I love the 3rd edited shot that JonK did - JonMikal, this is a fantastic shot, what are you on the fence about?!!! I love this!!!

.....and JonK, you're good man.

First of all I couldn't make this shot. Im too old and fat for the angle.

At that angle how can you not show the sky. The only thing that jumps out at me is the tiny bit of base in the bottom of the picture. The stark contast of the straight angle seems to be out of place in the mostly curved lines of the picture. I probably the only one that finds it distracting.

If that is gone, the distraction for me is gone to. Sorry about that but otherwise I thought they all had different moods, but none really struck me as being that much better than the others. In other words they are all great and I am jealous.

By the way if you get this many comments, it generally means people really are touched by the picture and want to make it their own somehow. I do not mean that in a bad way.

Cool subject Jon.
I like it, but there is something that keeps making me slide the screen up and crop out the sky. I just cant get the image of the dog head in the clouds out of my mind. Sorry...migraine pills will do that.
I would hate to crop it and lose the clouds too. Hmm....

Most reactions

Back