Battery Grips and Remotes

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy, I will be on a family vacation in a few weeks and have a few last things that I would like to buy before leaving. It seems that battery grips are pretty straightforward, but is there anything that I should look for? I am thinking of this kit right now:

ICABGE5K Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip for EOS Rebel XSi & T1i Digital Cameras with 2 Generic LP-E5 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

I am also looking for some info about wireless remotes. I am having a harder time finding many major differences between them. Lots of these remotes look like really junky off-brand stuff, so I am having a hard time picking one out. If anybody has suggestions about where to begin or a good model, please let me know. I am shooting with a Canon Rebel t1i

I would really appreciate any insight on either product, Thanks!
LiveStrong

Though I have heard of people going with generic batteries and have had no trouble, I have heard more than my share fair of horror stories to go with them. Personally, I would not do it, it's just not worth it. Sure if the battery is from Duracell or Energizer I would consider it then, but not some off brand china or Taiwan or wherever. Stick with a brand that cares about there reputation. You know Cannon is not going to come out and with a cheap battery and leave tomorrow. I have bought 3 extra batteries for my 50D off Amazon.com used from people for about 15 bucks each, but there all official Canon brand.

As for the grip not much choice here. The Optica has some good reviews so you could try that ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery-Vertical-Shutter-Batteries/dp/B001HK4LWA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280229321&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Opteka Battery Pack Grip / Vertical Shutter Release for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS…[/ame] ) . I have thought about a similar product for my 50D as I find those grips to make a huge difference when shooting. Had the Nikon one on my D90 and loved it. I think it would be far safer going generic with than your batteries. Hope this helps and good luck

I have the opteka grip. It is awesome! Nothing cheap with the construction. Go for it! I bought it on amazon.com.

I've been using off-brand batteries for several years now, they work just fine. They were about $12 each and last longer than the Canon ones. The only issue I've encountered, is that they are a bit tight in a battery grip, but they still work fine.

I bought an off-brand battery grip from Link Delight. It took a few weeks to get here from China, but it was a great price and it works great.

I also have Chinese made remotes, both wireless and wired. Like the grip, they were cheap and work well, but took a while to get here.

I like the Canon RC-6 wireless remote. It requires line of sight, and has a short range though.

The thing is so damn small that it's easy to lose too. I just lost mine last week and can't find it anywhere. :(

Idahophoto: Specifically what are the issues that you have hear of? Batteries causing electrical issues, short life, what exactly?

That Opteka grip seems like a good consideration, especially for that price. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Neil S.: How short is the range are we talking 10 feet or 50 feet? The size of it is not something that I worry about too much, I rarely have any issues with losing any gear. This is a dumb question, but how do they work? Is there a receiver in the camera already, or something that you attach to the camera? Thanks for the help!

my kit i got from linkdelight finally arrived and it is good in quality! It includes the grip for T2i, 2 batteries, and a wire remote for $70.

Check out a Vivitar wireless release at B&H Photo. They run about $50.00. I use a Nikon D-90, but they make them for most cameras. It is not line of sight but radio controlled, and very small and versatile as it shoots single frame, bulb, and continuous. I can set up my camera up in the back yard and shoot birds etc. from inside the house. Love it! Tom Beard

Idahophoto: Specifically what are the issues that you have hear of? Batteries causing electrical issues, short life, what exactly?

That Opteka grip seems like a good consideration, especially for that price. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Yeah pretty much. I'm no battery expert but I know a lot of companies in these countries don't put on safety feature that can cause that batteries to leak and or even explode at times. I'm sure you can find some articles on the web. Yeah Im sure some are made up, but I'm fairly sure there is truth to some. I just don't think it's worth it. I mean I paid about 1K for my camera whats 40 bucks for a battery especially when they can be charged again and again.

Plus I look at it this way. Its really hard for Canon to pass the blame if your using there brand they told you to use. I knew a person who actually had this happen with a memory card. A bit different but he had talked to Nikon and they were saying it was a problem from using a brand they did not approve of. He was using a Kingston SD Card and it worked fine in other cameras I used it and it was fine for me to. So it was not the card but a defect with the Camera itself, but Nikon would not admit it. I have used many Kingston products so I know there a good brand, maybe not San Disk or Lexar Quality, but would buy if in a squeeze and never had any trouble with them.

A bit off subject but you get the idea. Just my opinion, but you asked for it lol. So in a nut shell, stick with Canon for Canon.

if you look on amazon, they have a combo deal for grip, extra batteries, remote etc. for around $70+. The remote probably only works about 15-20 ft and YOU HAVE TO POINT at the camera. You cant just hide it in your pocket or something. But luckily it has a button for 2 second delay so you can point, press, hide the remote, smile.

Thanks everybody!

I have seen that package on amazon, but I am really looking for a remote that can work from a much longer distance.

IdahoPhoto: Thank you very much for all of the insight on this topic. It is a difficult choice to make, spend a bit extra and guarantee satisfaction, or simply trust that the many amazon reviews must be in the ballpark.

Here is a dumb question for you, the Rebel T1i goes up to 30 seconds, before bulb is the next option for shutter speed. Is there any way I can make the shutter stay open for a long length, without the need to hold the button.

If you set it to bulb, one click of the remote will open the shutter, one click will close... so just use your watch i guess LOL.

Ebay for the remote for under $10, most are IR and work up to about 30 feet.

I thought about the remote for mine but if you're all in the picture you need a tripod to hold the camera ... just something else to lug. There's always something!

Well, the tripod will be with me all the time when a remote will be useful. I ordered both items on amazon, the opteka battery grip as well as remote.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back