Battery Life: Not long enough

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have this problem? I've just recently purchased a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens and I feel that my batteries are being burned up faster than when I only had my Nifty-50. I have read about turning off image stabilization because that eats up batteries. I believe this to be true because I left OS on the other day and I went through 2 batteries like nothing.

Howerver, last night I was taking photos of the city. I was using between 2-20 second shots, had OS off and was using only manual focus. Again, I burned up my battery faster than when I was using the 50mm.

So what is the deal here? Since only owning a prime prior this experience, does a zoom lens normally eat battery power faster than primes? Thanks in advance.

Here is one of the shots I was taking last night.

410438040_BSdcM-M.jpg

In my opinion it's the OS that's draining your battery a little faster than normal. There's more in your lens than just focusing now..you have a focusing motor and a OS motor. If this is wrong..someone please correct me.

EDIT: I just read the ENTIRE post and you had OS off..sorry..than I am of no help lol..maybe your batter is just starting to not hold a charge like before.

Uh yeah.... well, I have no idea about the answer to your questions, but I love that shot! Especially the vivid color reflections on the water. Great job!

Awesome shot the only thing I'd change is make the clouds pop more, can prob do it in photoshop.

Uh yeah.... well, I have no idea about the answer to your questions, but I love that shot! Especially the vivid color reflections on the water. Great job!

Thanks jenn76 :D

Bigger lenses tend to use more power for AF and yes the OS will use more power. I haven't heard of them them eating batteries though, but they are fairly new to the market.

It's possible that your lens does have some sort of electrical short that is draining the batteries or maybe the batteries are dieing.

If possible, you could try out another battery, lens, camera body and use the process of elimination to determine where the problem lies.

Awesome shot the only thing I'd change is make the clouds pop more, can prob do it in photoshop.

I'm sure I can find a way to brighten, wb correct, then D&B the clouds to get em more perfect but I didn't have much time last night for processing. I will tonight though :)

I pretty sure the long exposures are eating up your batteries.

If possible, you could try out another battery, lens, camera body and use the process of elimination to determine where the problem lies.

I have a fully charged battery in my camera right now. After work, I will head out to a park and fire off some day shots; both using AF and perhaps some with OS on. I will update this post with my results of shots fired and % battery used tonight.

I have 2 batteries but probably need more for a weekend shoot I have coming up in a couple of weeks. Unless I can get my hands on a car charger :)

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.

It is definitely the new lens. I have the standard 18-55 Nikkor kit lens, and I get about 500 shots or more out of my battery, depending on the flash, etc.. When I mount my Sigma 70-300, which is much heavier and much harder to turn, the battery dies much, much faster. I reckon it's just the resistance of the weight and the higher flash power needed for the slower lens, etc.. You're not imagining things.

that's a fantastic shot... i like the bright colors and the blurry effect on the water.

...When I mount my Sigma 70-300, which is much heavier and much harder to turn, the battery dies much, much faster. I reckon it's just the resistance of the weight and the higher flash power needed for the slower lens, etc.. You're not imagining things.

I figured that. I'm pretty much comparing the power consumption of using a cotton ball vs. a brick (Nifty-50 vs. Sigma super-zoom)

After re-reading your op, I feel like a dope.. I would assume the deal is that the sensor was powered up for long periods of time in a low-light situation, meaning that it had to work harder to register the light. Just a guess. So, even though you didn't use your flash or focus, you had your mirror held up for a while and your sensor was, "sensing" for a long period of time.. I could be completely off, too.

If you're manually focusing and not using the stabilization, then any lens you use should be consuming no power at all. Am I missing something?

But with a slower lens and in low-light conditions, wouldn't the sensor consume more power, especially since he said he was taking 20-second shots?

Most reactions

Back