BBQ Advice

Jae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been asked to take picture of a barbecue grill + food but I have never done that before. It will be used in an advertisement poster. I believe the BBQ grill they are providing me tomorrow will be in a dark environment, I know I will have to bring my tripod but will I need any lightning equipment? I doubt I should use flash. Please share your past experience/ advice and example.

> Using a Sony Alpha - 3.5-5.6/ 18-70mm.

If it's going to be at high noon, use flash. If you have a bunch of batteries for your camera, you can use your onboard flash, it will pretty much give you the same results as a speedlight pointed directly at the subject. If you have a speedlight, use it, It won't drain your camera battery since it will have its own power source.

In daylight, you'll have high contrast shadows and you'll need to fill them and balance the ambient and flash exposures so the will all look normal.

Depends on the bbq. If it's a wood bbq complete with fire you will definitely need lighting equipment. If not natural light can work rather well. Not enough detail has been provided to fully answer these questions.

the clients arent sure either about the shooting conditions, but in general, what can/ should I expect?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back