Be careful of where you pre-order your D4 at!

Not surprising to me at all, I don't trust B&H as far as I can throw the entire retail store location. I purchased what was suppose to be a refurbished D7000 from them a few months ago. What I received in the box was a used camera someone had just traded in to them the day before. How do I know this? The camera was still dirty from use, was missing all the accessories from the box and was still tagging photo's I took (to test) with the previous owners email address, who I contacted and they told me they had just a day earlier traded in the unit for a D700. When I went to B&H to return the camera they initially went to their box o crap bin to fish me out the missing accessories, thinking I was going to keep the camera if they gave me all the stuff that was missing from the box! Cost me 2 wasted trips into manhatten and tied my money up for a week. Ended up purchasing the camera at Adorama.

Not surprising to me at all, I don't trust B&H as far as I can throw the entire retail store location. I purchased what was suppose to be a refurbished D7000 from them a few months ago. What I received in the box was a used camera someone had just traded in to them the day before. How do I know this? The camera was still dirty from use, was missing all the accessories from the box and was still tagging photo's I took (to test) with the previous owners email address, who I contacted and they told me they had just a day earlier traded in the unit for a D700. When I went to B&H to return the camera they initially went to their box o crap bin to fish me out the missing accessories, thinking I was going to keep the camera if they gave me all the stuff that was missing from the box! Cost me 2 wasted trips into manhatten and tied my money up for a week. Ended up purchasing the camera at Adorama.

Now THAT is an interesting, and very troubling story....

Long time no see JerryPH. Came back to rant, did ya? lol
Hope you come back to answer questions.
Glad you got it worked out.

Last edited:
Jerry must be pissed. He's posted the same story at the Strobist group on Flickr. I can't imagine why B&H would do that.

Yeah, he is prolly going through all the forums....lol

It's not even legal to charge until something ships. They can put a HOLD on funds for an amount of time, but can't charge till it ships

We are quite sure its not a hold?
I've seen someone get very very irate at a retailer for putting a hold on funds for an order that was then cancelled. Turned out all the guys raging at the store was for nothing because it was the banks that were holding funds as they were processed through their system rather than the shop itself (the guy was also irate for the order being cancelled after processing even though he was told in advance that it would be because he lived in the wrong country to get an order that expensive posted to him ;)).

Something doesn't sound right here. Maybe someone did make a mistake - - but I can't imagine this is policy.

I find Adorama is good too but their sales people are REALLY pushy in my experience, so I stick with B&H.

I shopped at Adorama once and their customer service turned me right off.

I'm really so very sorry to see this. We absolutely discourage any kind of behaviour like this. If you have an opportunity to email me with further details so we can ID the sales associate(s) involved we would certainly want to address it with him / them as quickly as possible. [email protected]

Most reactions

Back