Be nice, I like this shot...

^ great photoshop skills. BUT NEVER DO THIS.. when people wanna work with you they wanna see your photography skills. not photoshop skills unless they ask for a specific request. Im not sure if any of you work through or with magazine companies. but you do this and your work will be the 1st one to be turned down. That goes for cloning as well. Dont do it. if you left somthing in the picture. keep it there, get crit, and learn from the mistake.

I by all means dont mean to sound harsh. Just stating some facts.

^ great photoshop skills. BUT NEVER DO THIS.. when people wanna work with you they wanna see your photography skills. not photoshop skills unless they ask for a specific request. Im not sure if any of you work through or with magazine companies. but you do this and your work will be the 1st one to be turned down. That goes for cloning as well. Dont do it. if you left somthing in the picture. keep it there, get crit, and learn from the mistake.

Haha a LITTLE uptight? Did it say anywhere that this photo was going to be submitted to a magazine?

The ends justify the means.

Im simply saying. im not uptight. and i didnt mean to come down so hard. but its the fact of the life as photography. if some people are looking to get into this as a career, and possibly work for, or submit photos into companies. or even get hired by them to shoot somthing for them.. they are not gonna want photoshoped work. youll be turned down with out pay for shooting. they wanna see the original to see how good of a photographer you are.

i was simply sugesting getting into the habit of photoshoping pictures other then minor color adjustments for amazing results will only hurt others in the long run if they beleive thats ok to do.

What in the world are you talking about. Can you really show me 1 image in a magazine today that has not been heavily Photoshopped. Everything especially magazine photos are photoshopped.

What in the world are you talking about. Can you really show me 1 image in a magazine today that has not been heavily Photoshopped. Everything especially magazine photos are photoshopped.

Look in any respectable journalism periodical.

However, this is not relevant in any case. The OP wanted to know how to remove the pole from the photograph. She indicated that she was satisfied with the image other than the points she asked for help with. She didn't want crops, nor brightening, nor other manipulations or modifications. Yes, she says OTE; however, it seems like this permission only applies when the user requests assistance with something specific. I could be wrong... but I don't think I am.

In other words, it'd probably be a good idea to leave well enough alone, regardless of how strongly you believe--or how little you care--about such manipulations, or how you feel they may improve the image. Critique, rather than correct.

Ga_shooter, I'm interested to see what you come up with. In Keith204's "quick" example it looks like a trace of the pole is still visible, sort of a ghost. Did you get that effect also? I've never used these particular tools, since I use a different program under a different operating system, so I'm curious.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

This is after about 45 minutes work. At this point it just depends how much more time to spend touching up little blems. I did crop it a bit to move the girl closer to a rule-of-thirds point. A little sharpening and contrast enhancement in PhotoShop 7.

Ugh! Totally takes away from the original shot what made it special. No longer are you drawn to the girl & the cracks in the asphalt.

In the words of Chris Crocker...'Leave the picture alone, you don't deserve it, leave the girl aaaaalllllloooonnnnneeeee!'

streetEDIT.jpg

... In Keith204's "quick" example it looks like a trace of the pole is still visible, sort of a ghost. Did you get that effect also? I've never used these particular tools, since I use a different program under a different operating system, so I'm curious.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

I hope this didn't show my 'quality' of work necessarily. I saw the ghosting too, but figured it wasn't noticeable if you didn't know the light pole existed, and didn't want to spend the time since it's not a 'final' work...and it was more to just let GA_Shooter know it was possible and how to do it. I only spent 2 minutes or less actually removing the pole.

Hey Shooter,

I like the way you shot it originally. After all, it is what it is. I don't have an issue with taking out power lines that lead to nowhere, but unless you change you POV, the poles should stay. Why take one out and leave the other. Great capture IMO.

BTW, I'm favorable to slightly darker images.

I know what you mean about the car, but i like the way the road goes off into the distance and curves. Maybe leave the shot, but remove the car? If we can remove a pole, then the car shouldn't be too much harder to do, right? Of course, I'm not the one that removed the pole, and i am just getting ready to attempt it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you like the way the road goes off in the distance you can crop it square. a 1to1 ratio will make this print look more artistic. This format is typical of medium format film cameras.

My, I haven't checked this post in a while, got a little tense there didn't it? Thank you to everyone who critiqued and weighed in on this photo. I have given it much consideration and have decided to leave the pole and keep it dark. I just might crop it resevordog suggested tho. I guess i will give my two sense on the to photoshop or not to photoshop issue, I personally consider photoshop another tool in my arsanal of art. I make mixed media pieces, handpaint fabric, make transfers to use in collages, and have a piece of driftwood i found floating in a river (i thought it was a duck long story) 15 years ago that is my favorite piece of found art. SO all that being said, photo shop is an enhancement, learning when to use it alot, a little or not at all is the art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back