beach shoot with my daughter

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got home from a beach vacation with my family. I took a ton of photos! Here are some of my favorites from my daughter's shoot.

Lillian by paige_w, on Flickr

she is always dancing by paige_w, on Flickr

Lillie in the ocean by paige_w, on Flickr

beach curls <3 by paige_w, on Flickr

big ocean little girl by paige_w, on Flickr

hello waves by paige_w, on Flickr

IMG_5669.jpg by paige_w, on Flickr

IMG_5632.jpg by paige_w, on Flickr

IMG_5786.jpg by paige_w, on Flickr

more on flickr ;)

very sweet! Not so fond of #4.

Thank you! And funny about #4, it is one of my top faves! I have been trying to capture the perfect shot of her hair for a long time and I feel like I finally did it in this shot. mommy goggles lol ;)

these are adorable. i do wish there were a lil more variation though. maybe some face closeups.. toes in the sand, etc.

I get what you were going for, but along with that I think you need some more connection. In most of these you don't see her face, or if you do, she's looking down at the water and most of her face is not viewable. Next time try to snag some of her connecting with the camera :sexywink:

Wow.. 7 shots.. horizontal...lots of dead space, and no eye contact in any of them! That put them in the classification of "Mom" shots... no interest to anyone else.

Wow.. 7 shots.. horizontal...lots of dead space, and no eye contact in any of them! That put them in the classification of "Mom" shots... no interest to anyone else.

I was really feeling the love despite the lack of eye contact on these. Is it because I have the mom goggles too?

ETA: I'm not trying to be a sassy. I really wonder if having kids has across the board made me biased toward liking shots of other peoples kids. And if so, then are mom shots really of no interest to anyone but other moms? This might be a question for another thread.

Last edited:

If only it were so cut-and-dried as you try and paint it,cgipson1. The ocean is basically a huge series of horizontally-oriented waves...these are shots of a child at the seashore...the "dead space" is the environment she is in. Perhaps you can come up with some better reasoning next time you try a "mom slam"? I mean, surely you have better vitriol than that!

Shots 1,3,5,6,7,and 9 ALL ought to be horizontals. Peacefulness, repose, tranquility, and the seashore...ALL classically horizontally shown much of the time. Again, nice try at a "mom with a camera" slam, but sorry, no sale cgipson...

If only it were so cut-and-dried as you try and paint it,cgipson1. The ocean is basically a huge series of horizontally-oriented waves...these are shots of a child at the seashore...the "dead space" is the environment she is in. Perhaps you can come up with some better reasoning next time you try a "mom slam"? I mean, surely you have better vitriol than that!

Shots 1,3,5,6,7,and 9 ALL ought to be horizontals. Peacefulness, repose, tranquility, and the seashore...ALL classically horizontally shown much of the time. Again, nice try at a "mom with a camera" slam, but sorry, no sale cgipson...

We all have our opinions, don't we? You don't like lawyers, obviously... and there are some things I don't care for! ;)

I was really feeling the love despite the lack of eye contact on these. Is it because I have the mom goggles too?

ETA: I'm not trying to be a sassy. I really wonder if having kids has across the board made me biased toward liking shots of other peoples kids. And if so, then are mom shots really of no interest to anyone but other moms? This might be a question for another thread.

I think moms are more prone to project... based on the experiences with their own children! Fathers too, probably. I am just looking at the shots photographically.. with no "child" bias.... my opinions! These shots mean nothing to me... nothing for me to latch on to... there is no connection.

I'd be curious to see the responses!

Paige, these are very sweet. I really like #1 and 5. She is so adorable.

I like the set, but I agree it needs a little more variety & connection to round it out fully. As suggested, toes in the sand, some verticals, etc.

I think that's a bit harsh Charlie; I would say that these are definitely a cut (or more likely several cuts) above "momtographer" work. Is there room for improvement? Of coruse, and I think that's been mentioned, but as a set these aren't bad at all. In particular, I could see #5 (with a few more PP fine touchs) doing very well in a competition.

I LOVE 5! A really well captured beach shot - and the light is lovely and warm. I agree that the others need more connection, but they are certainly nice shots to have in the family album (or a cool DIY collage for her room!).

To be completely honest, I think your candids on flickr are more interesting. Particularly:

IMG_6709.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_6834.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_5952.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing! <- I think that's my second favorite of your daughter's beach shoot :)

Most reactions

Back