Bears- Katmai National Park

jimmerjamma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife and I had one of the most amazing experience's today- Bear Viewing. But not in a zoo or conservation area- in the wild. The coastal brown bears of Katmai National Park have abundant food sources so they aren't aggressive towards people that are in a group. Even that being said, you sign your life away before you can go on the tour. With the help of our tour guide, we got to see a dozen bears up close, many in the distance, and two that passed us only ten feet away from us!!

4. This bear passed by us at a VERY close distance

5. Same bear as in the 4th photo

6. As most of you probably already know, Male's will eat cubs if they are left unattended. There was a cub starting to get too far away from it's mother and this Male was moving in closer to the cub. Thankfully the Mother went to the cub and this Male went away.

7. Same bear as photo six

Very nice. I like #3 the best of the bunch. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. The grizzlies/brown bears pay absolutely no attention to the photographers. When the tide was out they would go out digging for clams (quite successfully) and when the tide was in they would go into the marsh behind the beach and gorge on the grass. It was the most absolutely incredible experience. One you never forget.

WesternGuy

I visited Katmia myself a few weeks back. It was an experience I will never forget. I enjoyed it enough that I plan to visit again in during future visits to Alaska.

Wow, great shots! I like #3 and 8. :smile:

OMG! Wonderful images and I too am extremely jealous. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great opportunity and some nice photos. Your processing is tending flat and curious why you took photos in sunny conditions with the white balance set to cloudy.

Here's one of the shots with the contrast raised. Hard to know about the WB but I made some adjustments until the blue in the sky was the right color and I suppressed the atmospheric haze in the background -- I think it helps but some may object that it's unrealistic.

Joe

bears.jpg

great set. #3 &#8 are my pick. what an awesome adventure. on my bucket list for sure

would snugg...run away from.

Great opportunity and some nice photos. Your processing is tending flat and curious why you took photos in sunny conditions with the white balance set to cloudy.

Here's one of the shots with the contrast raised. Hard to know about the WB but I made some adjustments until the blue in the sky was the right color and I suppressed the atmospheric haze in the background -- I think it helps but some may object that it's unrealistic.

Joe

View attachment 105012
Good eye. I had been shooting in cloudy weather for so long I forgot to change the white balance back. I had to bring the temperature back to reality on all the photos in post processing. I like the de-haze you did.

Beautiful animals in an equally pretty setting!
Nicely done!

Most reactions

Back