beautiful step daughter

Kimba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
feel free to C&C

ISO 100 50mm F/1.4 1/640

I think i needed to have the flower in #1 in more focus and i think #3 is out of focus as well. However for my second try at a portrait style shot i think i'm doing o.k

3757679940_e8b0fba8ec_o.jpg

3756881669_285ec3a1d3_o.jpg

3757679874_c1f06f0405_o.jpg

3756881589_d938278ff4_o.jpg

#3 would be pretty darn good, if it were in focus. Though your 50mm can reach down to f/1.4, don't. Just, don't. DoF is razor thin down there (if it even exists at all depending on focus distance). Stick to around 2.8 and higher and you'll have a better time keeping everything in focus.

thanks. i might try that when we have her next weekend. she never says no to having her photo taken.:thumbup:

No problem. Oh, and are you using the centre focus point and focusing on the eyes first? (Because if you aren't, you should. Separate the AF/AE lock, lock focus on the eyes with the centre focus point, recompose, lock exposure—on a grey card makes it a piece of cake—and shoot.)

Sorry that I'm a little incoherant. I've been out shooting all day. Man am I tired. >.<

no worries, yes i have been using my centre focus and focusing on the eyes. just learn't to do this so i'm a little excited about it. LOL

What camera are you using?

Are you locking focus and then recomposing the shot before hitting the shutter release?

Very nice set of images...she's very natural in front of the camera. Keep shooting.

What camera are you using?

Are you locking focus and then recomposing the shot before hitting the shutter release?

Very nice set of images...she's very natural in front of the camera. Keep shooting.

I am using a Canon 500D. I am locking focus and then recomposing the shot but as I only learnt to do this a few days ago it's still a wrok in progress.

I really #3 she looks a little softer.

I horribly disagree with the advice to not use f1.4. While you may not want to use it all the time, it is extremely usable, it is just tricky and takes practice to get it right. You will never get it right if you just start shooting at f/2.8. Practice technique and you'll get the hang of the shallow DOF......things like moving your focus point so that you have to do less re-composing after gaining focus will help as well as snapping the shot quickly after gaining focus...etc....just practice rather than giving up.

Myself and a ton of others have a bunch of success shooting at f1.4-f2.

For example. Numbers 2 and 4 are great. DOF is great and your focus is spot on. The problem with 1 and 3 isn't as much as DOF as the fact that the focus is in the wrong spot and/or blur from hand shake (can't tell for sure since there's no exif data).

I horribly disagree with the advice to not use f1.4. While you may not want to use it all the time, it is extremely usable, it is just tricky and takes practice to get it right. You will never get it right if you just start shooting at f/2.8. Practice technique and you'll get the hang of the shallow DOF......things like moving your focus point so that you have to do less re-composing after gaining focus will help as well as snapping the shot quickly after gaining focus...etc....just practice rather than giving up.

Myself and a ton of others have a bunch of success shooting at f1.4-f2.

For example. Numbers 2 and 4 are great. DOF is great and your focus is spot on. The problem with 1 and 3 isn't as much as DOF as the fact that the focus is in the wrong spot and/or blur from hand shake (can't tell for sure since there's no exif data).

thanks heaps. i appreciate it. i did have fun using it at 1.4 as it was a challange but will also try it other ways. Maybe i'll try my neice next time so i'm not using the same child every time i try it.

I'd argue that f/1.4-2.5 is only really useful if you're far away from the subject. So maybe with an 85mm that would work nicely, but when you're getting in closer, at f/1.4, DoF is pretty much non-existent.

Most reactions

Back