Beginer Needs Serious Help.

ravens9273

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am new.
I have always had a passion for taking pictures. I am recently married to a beautiful Woman from Ukraine. Meeting her has opened my eyes to a world I have never known.
Together we have traveled all over the world.
I decided to buy a professional DSLR for taking perfect pictures of our adventures. Little did I know at the time what I was getting myself into.

I own a Fujifilm S3 Pro
I have 3 lenses at the moment.
Nikon Nikkor 18-55mm VR
Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm
Tamron 18-200mm

I thought if I bought this camera my pictures would instantly be better.
OK OK the joke is on me.
I have yet to take a good picture.
My pictures are either too dark or too bright.
The few photos where lighting is good the photos never have that crisp look. Everything is just slightly blurred. In honest my photos look like they were taken with a $30 walmart special or a cell phone.

I have no idea what I am doing and any pointers would be much apreciated.
I have just seen photos of others where the coloring is spectacular and the main subject in the photo is crystal clear. I do not understand why I cannot take these photos.

PLEASE HELP!!!

are you shooting in full auto?

I have tried full auto, Manual, S, and A. Same results with all.

If you haven't already, I'd pick-up the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. This will get you understanding the different manual settings of the camera and how they relate. It should also help you get better images straight from the camera.

I would also look into a post-processing program (something like Adobe Photoshop, though there are alternatives). This will allow you to further enhance your images to the results you've mentioned.

Good luck.

Its tough to give real good feedback when we dont have anything to see. Post up some pics and we will be much better equipped to tell you how to fix it. The problem sounds like you are having exposure issues. The ones that came out blurred while being lit correctly were probably a result of long shutter speed and camera shake. Just guessing since there is nothing to see.

Thanks for help and advice given.
How do I post photos to show my troubles?

Hello Everyone.

I am new.
I have always had a passion for taking pictures. I am recently married to a beautiful Woman from Ukraine. Meeting her has opened my eyes to a world I have never known.
Together we have traveled all over the world.
I decided to buy a professional DSLR for taking perfect pictures of our adventures. Little did I know at the time what I was getting myself into.

I own a Fujifilm S3 Pro
I have 3 lenses at the moment.
Nikon Nikkor 18-55mm VR
Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm
Tamron 18-200mm

I thought if I bought this camera my pictures would instantly be better.
OK OK the joke is on me.
I have yet to take a good picture.
My pictures are either too dark or too bright.
The few photos where lighting is good the photos never have that crisp look. Everything is just slightly blurred. In honest my photos look like they were taken with a $30 walmart special or a cell phone.

I have no idea what I am doing and any pointers would be much apreciated.
I have just seen photos of others where the coloring is spectacular and the main subject in the photo is crystal clear. I do not understand why I cannot take these photos.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Im so glad youve posted this because im in exactly the same boat!! lol!
my girlfriend got me a canon 450d and i m really stuggling with it, (not beaten though) my friend has a camera that is no way near as good as mine but his pics are superior to mine, can anyone reccomend a course in the uk worth taking?

Although there are thousands of resources available, here is a link with tutorials that touches on both photography and photoshop.

You may find answers to many of your questions reading through some of the free tutorials.

HERE

Best of luck!!

can anyone reccomend a course in the uk worth taking?

pick up camera
go outside
shoot
keep shooting

come back and view the images on your computer - see where the things went wrong and where things went right. Look at the key settings you used (or hte camera used) Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed (to view review the properties of the photo file and go to the details tab - scroll down to find the mentioned settings - this is called the EXIF data)

Then post a few (5 at most) of the shots on a website (like here) with the details of settings used, lens and camera used, general way that you took the shot and what the conditions were like (was it overcast, bright sunlight - windy - wet etc....); what shooting mode did you use.*
That will give people here a context and an understanding for what you are doing and thinking when taking a shot and willl better allow people to comment and advise you.

Also read the camera manual over and over again - take it with you at all times when you have the camera (makes it great when you want to try something new and just need to check how to do it). Also I do strongly encourage reading (and getting) Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - that book will really help you better understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO - how they interat wtih each other; affect your end result and how to expose shots not only correctly, but creativly as well.

IT takes time and you will shoot a lot of rubbish - not problem with that its part of the learning process.

* if you used auto then say it - there is no shame in using auto mode to take photos!

Most reactions

Back