Beginner Avian Photography Help

Orangetang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.screenlooking.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

The weather here has been great lately so I have been bringing my camera with me to the little lake down the street. First of all, I understand that my 70-300 VR is a fairly low-end lens, but the results I have been getting seem to be excessively soft, sometimes having a slight halo around the subject.

I am shooting @ ISO 800-1000 at F5.6 to achieve 1000-2000/s shutter speeds for these quick little guys. That might sound high, and maybe it is (let me know), but I find anything less to give bad hand-held results for bird in motion, or on windy days, which is almost everyday.

Is the halo and softness a characteristic of this lens and my high-ISO, or could it be camera shake? I always use a Hoya UV filter and sometimes a Hoya CPL and factory lens shade.

Here are a few examples. I'll probably start by uploading a few of my sized-touched up photos. I have not even read the max file size yet... So, the artifacts I am talking about might not even be visible... I can always crop a full-size later on...Any help or comments are welcome. I went out and bought a bird book the other day, so this is quickly turning into a bit of a hobby. Shoot the bird, figure out what it is, trying to get a pair together, etc...

Thanks in advance for your help!

20090525_3682.jpg

20090525_3719.jpg

20090522_3451_2_.jpg

Here is a 100% crop... Soft, noisy and free of any sharpness. Is this normal, even at ISO ~1000 in daylight? Any tips, other than buying a faster lens? The camera was held still against a post, and the bird was at moving at all. It almost looks out of focus to me.
20090525_3962.jpg

20090522_3451.jpg

I can't help you.....

All I can say is that now I don't feel so bad. I thought I was going nuts with my 70-300VR thinking it was me or my camera giving me soft or noisy images.

Enough so that I want to trade my Nikkor glass in on a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.

I have found that if I turn off Active D-Lighting, I get a slightly better image.

I found the in-camera sharpening does not help. I'll try no D-lighting, though I think I had it OFF.

It might not be the lens, maybe we are both using it wrong, or maybe it is the lens.

300mm is about the shortest you want to go for shooting birds. 500mm or longer is ideal. The ideal lens is a 300/2.8 (to which you can add a 2x teleconverter to make it a 600/5.6), 500/4 or 600/4. As these are hideously expensive, Sigma has a number of XX-500 zooms that are much more affordable.

what camera you are using? these just seem like noisy to me...plus that any lens has a sweet spot where it is sharpest. a certain focal length and an f number. cheap telephotos tend to be soft at the long end... i know mine is...

Is your filter a standard Hoya UV lens or is it the HMC or S-HMC version? If it's the standard version then I'd guess that it is your culprit. Remove all filters and re-shoot....post your results. I've seen some incredibly sharp photos from that lens, even at 300mm, so something isn't right here. Maybe try setting up a tripod and shooting a few static objects at 300mm (say some flowers or something) to see if it is camera shake or missed focus (you might be moving a little after getting focus and before snapping the shot.)

hmmm,

I use the same set-up.

D90, 16-85 VR, 70-300 VR and 50mm f/1.8

I have stopped using any UV filters on my lenses. I do on occasion us a CPL.

3 things will help when photographing birds:

1. Tripod
2. Tripod
3. Tripod

1. Tripod
2. Tripod
3. Tripod

That would be one sturdy setup....9 tripod legs would be hard to setup though..:lol:

Something isn't right with the OP's setup though. I've seen a thread (this forum or another...can't remember) and somebody was using the 70-300VR with a Kenko TC....(don't know if it was 1.4 or 1.7) and they were getting very, very acceptable shots. I also did a quick flickr search and saw many nice photos at 300mm....in particular a hawk/eagle (don't remember) at 300mm that was stunning and sharp.

1. Tripod
2. Tripod
3. Tripod

That would be one sturdy setup....9 tripod legs would be hard to setup though..:lol:

Something isn't right with the OP's setup though. I've seen a thread (this forum or another...can't remember) and somebody was using the 70-300VR with a Kenko TC....(don't know if it was 1.4 or 1.7) and they were getting very, very acceptable shots. I also did a quick flickr search and saw many nice photos at 300mm....in particular a hawk/eagle (don't remember) at 300mm that was stunning and sharp.

They most likely used a tripod. :p

Three of them in fact.:lol:

1. Tripod
2. Tripod
3. Tripod

Then why can I take the same set-up, both on and off the tripod, and get similar soft images?

Then why can I take the same set-up, both on and off the tripod, and get similar soft images?

Do you do anything to the lens when you put it onto the tripod?

Most reactions

Back