Beginner can anyone give me advice?.

xoxkimxox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new to the photography side of things I have used editing software for quite a number of years now editing pictures but nothing in depth. Can anyone advise me the best dlsr camera to get starting with I am on a bit of a budget too but probably will upgrade once I get into the photography. I am looking to do a part time course at College and see where I go from there.
Also just wondering the best editing software I have Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Cs5 at the minute
Any advice would be great
Thanks
Kim

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
The word 'budget' does not imply a given dollar amount. It can mean $2, $20, $200, $2000, $20000 or even $20000000.

So how about a real dollar amount for your budget so we have an idea what you can afford?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hi Kim

Here are the cameras I would recommend going from the good and cheap to the better and a bit more expensive

Nikon D3200-excellent camera, excellent value for money, used this camera and was very impressed with it
Nikon D5200-slightly better camera with an articulating screen and better Auto Focus system
Nikon D5300-slightly better then the D5200 but not by much
Get one of these cameras with the kit lens 18-55mm and add to that (if you have the cash) one or 2 more lenses
Telefoto-Nikon 55-200mm VR
And for lower light photography and portraits Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Good luck

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Depends on how much money you have to spend...the lowest cost d-slrs would be used ones bought from a big used dealer, like KEH.com. For those on a tight budget, the slightly older camera like the Nikon D80 or D90 are now bringing $110-$125 or so on the real-world used market at photography supply stores and pawn shops that specialize in electronics/cameras; the BIGGEST web dealers that are not KEH.com often have used camera prices that are higher than what one finds in medium-sized cities, because they have huge, nation-wide "reach".

There is no "best" d-slr for a beginner.The small, lower-end D40,D40x,D60,D3000,D5000 Nikons can use basically ANY Nikon F-mount lens ever made, even the old 1960's and 1970's manual focus lenses, so they can be equipped with, literally $10 and $20 pawn shop lenses that will mount, and shoot, manual focus and no metering, but they WILL accept 99.999% of all lenses ever made in F-mount.

If you have $300-$400, I would buy a newer Nikon D3000-series or D5000-series model and an 18-55 kit zoom. See Goodguy's post #3 above...the 55-200 VR would be a nice telephoto lens to have; the 35mm f/1.8 DX-Nikkor lens would be another good optional lens to own with one of the cameras he suggests.

OP
X

xoxkimxox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Sorry yes missed that bit out £200-£300 to spend

Dave442

Reaction score
If your looking at a photography course and on a budget then I also recommend a used camera.
I bought a used D200 (as a backup to my D200) for $200 a few years ago. It came with a grip, two batteries in the grip, charger and memory card.

This is a good camera for a photography course (the person I bought it from used it for a college course and sold it six months later).

You can find a used lens to go with it and still be inside your budget. I would go with the 50mm f/1.8 D lens (that has an aperture ring) and is very cheap.

goodguy

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
For that price maybe you can get a used Nikon D3200 or D5100 with the kit lens

Most reactions

New Topics