Beginner Film Camera?

C_Dubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

At the moment, I have an Olympus EP-1. I would like to get a film camera as well. I feel as if it will help with my composition skills, and really focusing on the quality of the shot since you can't delete it. I would like a camera that has a complete manual mode, so it only needs batteries for the light meter. I would like the price with a lens (maybe 50mm f/1.8)to be around $125. I already have an olympus camera, so I was looking at some of the OM cameras. I also looked at the Pentax K1000, Nikon FM2, and Canon AE-1. Are any of these good? Is there something better in my price range? I am open to any ideas. Also, if you could help me with finding these cameras for a good price. (maybe links? :mrgreen:)

THANKS for all help

Colin

I have 2 Pentax K1000's - great bodies and totally indestructible. The Nikon FM2 is also a great body, I had one but sold it years ago.

Any of those are great choices and you can get quite a bit for 125 bucks.

The Olympus OM-3 has a mechanical shutter, and I think the OM-1 also.
Olympus made some really great Zuiko lenses.

You can get the EP-1 to OM lens converter to share lenses.

Last edited:
The Olympus OM-3 has a mechanical shutter, and I think the OM-1 also.
Olympus made some really great Zuiko lenses.

You can get the EP-1 to OM lens converter to share lenses.

which om-series camera do you suggest? the om-1?

I have an AE-1 and have taken some really good images with that and ilford 400 film. A good combo from what i can tell.

You will probably find that the OM-3 is hard to get ... as it is one of their better cameras and was not produced in quantities as large as their others.
The OM-1 will be easier to get.

A quick look on ebay shows the OM-3 = $650.00 and the OM-1=$100.00 avg.

Nikon F100

what would be a good rangefinder in this price range?

I found a canon canonet G-II (pretty much same as G-III) QL17 with the 40mm f/1.7 lens on ebay with new light seals for $85. IS that a good deal?

Last edited:
i also found a olympus om-10 with 50mm f/1.8 lens in great condition for $75, which should i choose?

second on the Canonet, it's an awesome camera which might encourage the use of a hand-held meter since the built-in meter takes banned batteries. Be aware the shutter tends to get a bit sticky if stored in the cold too long. All of my Canonet eventually seized up entirely.

My dad had an FM that he let me play with when we were in church. As a kid, I used to stick my finger through the shutter curtain. I'd open the shutter, put my finger inside and let it close, trapping my finger inside. Later I used it in college. So needless to say, it's built well.

Yashicamat 124G as a medium format TLR option
Bronica S-series for a medium format SLR, the original S had an amazing Nikkor lens
The Omegaview or Graphic View if feeling ambitious enough for 4x5

ETA: The G-Zuiko 50/1.8 is a crazy lens. It's pretty unruly at times, with really odd coma and contrast weirdness wide open. I think you could do better with Nikon, IMO.

second on the Canonet, it's an awesome camera which might encourage the use of a hand-held meter since the built-in meter takes banned batteries.

There are alkaline batteries that can be used of slightly different voltage than the original mercuries. The voltage difference should matter too much as negative film tends to be more forgiving.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back