Beginner wanting a GREAT DSLR camera to use for future business - Any suggestions???

Likely they start seeing the responces to something they probalby thought was an easy answer for people who know about camera and decided they would go somewhere else. Granted her origonal post didn't have allot of information that was needed but allot of people got on her case about it in a somewhat negative way.

Currently I shoot with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H3 Carl Zeiss Lens 8.1 mexapixels 10X Zoom

This basic point & shoot camera takes pretty decent outdoor pics but the inside pics are terrible

My future plans:
Family shoots, Birthday Parties, Family Gatherings, etc. Mostly outdoor shoots and landscape shots, but I do plan to do some indoor architectural shots as well. Other than that, sporting events for my children.

My budget? Well...let's just say that I want to do whatever it takes to get a really good camera and equipment but I don't have a load of money just buried in my backyard somewhere! :)
I want to buy right the first time. I don't want to buy middle of the road or "beginner" camera and then need to upgrade later on. I want to invest in the best now so that I can use it for quite awhile and be happy with what I have and not be kicking myself for going the cheaper route.

Thanks!
I checked out the D700 and it was my first pick until I began thinking about wanting HD video capabilies. I would like to be able to do great video as well, so not sure if the D700 is what I need now.

Future Business Plans:
Family Shoots, Birthday Parties, Family Gatherings, (all mostly outdoors) landscape shots, indoor and outdoor architectural shots and some portraits. But, definately NO weddings!

To: gryphonslair99

If you are referring to me, I have one question for you.

Did YOU start at the TOP?
Everyone has to start somewhere. I didn't say I wanted to make a business of this overnight. I said "Future" which is vague, but it is in my future whether near or far future, it is something I have always dreamed of doing. Way to encourage someone!

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm sorry I find you (ALL) to be acting like complete jerks. It's a serious question, and the way you're treating him/her is ridiculous.
Okay, you've established that a camera won't make you pro --

Since you didn't supply your background I'm going to go ahead and give you the advice i'd give myself if I was in your situation -
Ready for it?
Buy a bottom end DSLR and stock up on sweet lenses until you understand photography (there's a learning curve). Have lots of money? Buy a mid end DSLR and stock up on sweet lenses. Have it so good that money is no option? Buy the very top of the line DSLR and a bunch of amazing lenses..
If you're 'average' then get yourself a bottom end camera and a top of the line lens (and then your second and third and so on once you figure out what you want in a lens (length).. And then when you understand exposure and composition, upgrade your body and get yourself a good desktop computer and photo editor, along with some good books to digest that new photo editor of yours, and then go pro :p
To: dcmoody23

THANK YOU!!!
That's what I was looking for :) Straight up, nice, knowledgeable, patient, humble, and friendly! THANKS! I will take your advice!

I'm sure it is a serious question; a serious question that gets asked in one form or another on this board several times each day. The problem with this particular serious question is that it gives the distinct impression that the poster can't be bothered to do any of their own research. Since they've posted here, they obviously have Internet access, therefore, plugging a phrase such as "DSLR with HD Video" into a search-engine would have given a starting point. A further query such as "<Camera> review" would provide a wealth of information.

Had the OP done a little work and posted a question with sufficient information, such as "I have $XXX to spend on a camera and lenses for a business I want to start centered around <type of photography>. I am considering cameras X, Y, and Z - what do you recommend?" I am willing to be that there would have been a slew of detailed, useful posts.

The simple fact is, many of the knowledgeable posters here don't see a lot of point in doing someone's work for them. They are more than willing to help, but not to do all the work.
To: tirediron

I have done some of my own research but since I am a BEGINNER at this, I thought I would throw my ignorant question out there to see if I could get some advice on a good camera from people on here that obviously know cameras. I am not interested in seeing reviews on certain websites not knowing if the site(s) are just trying to push their product. If you were looking for a good doctor or dentist would you go to the internet first? or, would you ask a friend or friend of a freind, family member, etc.? I tend to ask around before I check out reviews online. So, with throwing my question out there, I was asking for some suggestions from people on here that own cameras. Which do they like? What has worked for them? What stinks? Etc etc etc...

I do agree that I should have indicated what kind of camera I own now, what my background is, etc. That would have been helpful.

And, by the way, I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me. I just wanted a little advice from some pros. I am obviously at the bottom here.

My future plans:
Family shoots, Birthday Parties, Family Gatherings, etc. Mostly outdoor shoots and landscape shots, but I do plan to do some indoor architectural shots as well. Other than that, sporting events for my children.

Reading that list I'm very tempted to say that you might want to start with a fullframe camera body rather than an entry level (which are all 1.6crop). This refers to the size of the sensor in the camera body, with fullframe being the same size as a regular 35mm film.

The importance of this is that with a fullframe sensor you get improved ISOs for low light work and natural light work - but also the larger sensor means that you get both a larger frame of view (things are less "zoomed in") and also you get increased blur of background areas.

A lot of this is very vague unless you get experience (this is the tricky bit making the right choices requires experience that often people don't have when the start), but suffice to say that whilst there is no problem with using a 1.6 crop body for those areas of interest the preferred by most is a fullframe camera body (as far as DSLRs are concerned - those that really go higher up use medium and large formate which get very expensive very quickly).

For canon the cheapest fullframe you can get is a 5D (either second hand or reconditioned since this line is now discontinued) and of course you'll need to pair it with some good lenses depending upon you remaining budget. This choice of fullframe or 1.6 crop is where I shift away from the general "get good lenses first and then a good camera body" advice simply because it has a great impact upon how you work - working with the frame coverage of a 1.6 is very different to that of a fullframe camera body.

Is it possible to buy used? If so, where? I am totally new to this and welcome your feedback!

Thanks!

+1 to what tirediron said.

The "Is it possible to buy used? If so, where?" part made me spew Mountain Dew when I laughed out loud.

The OP's credit, she used capital letters and proper punctuation.

I wonder what this "determined beginer' will do when she needs to learn how to do strobed light photography, drag a shutter, and discovers she has to buy a license to use her HD, MPEG 4 files commercially. ;)
To: kmh

Thanks so much for the encouragement (sarcasm) and friendly welcome to this site.
I didn't realize that photography world had so many rude people in it. Thanks.

id personally say skip buying the highest end camera right now. buy middle of the road and spend your money on high end lenses that you can carry over to a high end camera down the line. you can learn all the basics and learn the camera inside and out and learn how to take great photos,then when your at the point of starting your business you can invest in a high end camera and use all the high end lenses you have picked up over the years. and still have your middle of the road camera as a handy backup camera or just another camera to have a diffrent lenses on.

something im just thinking on and someone who is in a business might answer. but if you start your business up then buy a new camera wouldn't that be a tax rightoff?

I'm sure it is a serious question; a serious question that gets asked in one form or another on this board several times each day. The problem with this particular serious question is that it gives the distinct impression that the poster can't be bothered to do any of their own research. Since they've posted here, they obviously have Internet access, therefore, plugging a phrase such as "DSLR with HD Video" into a search-engine would have given a starting point. A further query such as "<Camera> review" would provide a wealth of information.

Had the OP done a little work and posted a question with sufficient information, such as "I have $XXX to spend on a camera and lenses for a business I want to start centered around <type of photography>. I am considering cameras X, Y, and Z - what do you recommend?" I am willing to be that there would have been a slew of detailed, useful posts.

The simple fact is, many of the knowledgeable posters here don't see a lot of point in doing someone's work for them. They are more than willing to help, but not to do all the work.

+1, but in addition... there really is NO answering this question.

There are a few variables... like if the shooter-to-be is going to be doing a lot of low light photography, then high-ISO capabilities and full frame is likely key. Lots of sports, frame rate will be important, etc.

Aside from that it's generally about budget. A Nikon D40 will "work" for almost anything, but then so will a D3x. If you buy a D3x, you'll have fewer limitations than you will with a D40... but can you afford it?

Not to mention... can you really use it? Spending a metric ton of cash on some "really sweet glass" isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot for you if you don't know what you really need. Example... I know someone who bought a 70-200 2.8 VR... only to find out that what they REALLY needed for their business was a wide angle. Whoops.

Or someone else who spent tons of money on that super-fast lens, but it turns out they are always outside in bright light and their camera wasn't fast enough to keep up with their sports shooting... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they were out of money. Whoops.

The point is don't go asserting what people need to do until you have the foggiest notion on what they need or you'll be doing everyone a disservice.

And for the record, I am a professional, I do buy some very high quality gear to do my work, and I know the value of it... but I also know how to use it.
To: manaheim

Sincere thanks :)
I guess there are a few nice people on here after all.

I would really like people that post things like this to come back and answer peoples questions. What bothers me most is the one post then run because people ask a ton of questions. The more info they give the better anyone can help. NO INFO NO Help. Then they run off and tell people how cr9ppy this site is or other sites. IT makes no sence to take the time to sign up ask one question then never come back!
To: Jeatley

I didn't disappear. I have a life and I have had a busy weekend.
Thanks so much for the friendly welcome.

Likely they start seeing the responces to something they probalby thought was an easy answer for people who know about camera and decided they would go somewhere else. Granted her origonal post didn't have allot of information that was needed but allot of people got on her case about it in a somewhat negative way.
To: 12sndsgood

And, you're right, I am tempted to run after all the "positive" help that I have had flying my way.

Most reactions

Back