Beginner wanting a GREAT DSLR camera to use for future business - Any suggestions???

For the record, I wasn't "talking smack" to any of those souls. They're all good guys in my book.

My point was only that it's probably better to just blow the post off entirely than to put on the display that we did here. Or just give some fairly vague answer... or one similar to what you said there with "hang out a while, do a search, etc." We didn't exactly do that, though... certainly not at first.

Mind you, I don't exactly blame anyone- the longer you are on here the more you are prone to having a day of snarky responses. It's why I'm not on here as much and why I periodically just phase out entirely for a while.

*shrug*

Oh, no manaheim *you* were decidedly not talking smack to those guys....no, not you. My comments about talking smack were directed not at you, but at the way the OP came back on the original set of half-hearted replies that she received for,basically,expecting this place to work the way SHE would like it to work, rather than the way it works in the real-world. I think the OP's replies to the original post were out of line, given the way this place *actually functions* on a day-by-day basis. It'd be great if we could ALL, as a collective, exhibit perfect, wonderful,genteel behavior to the nth degree to each and every spammer, newbie, one-time poster, beginner, MWAC, GWAC, non-native English speaker,etc,etc,etc...but that is not the way internet boards actually work.

I have seen all categories of posters (spammer,newbie,MWAC/GWAC,old-timer, film-purist,digital purist, non-native speaker,etc,etc, handled myriad ways--from with the utmost courtesy, to derision, etc,etc. I appreciate your concern for the way this incident played out.

Ah.

Ok.

Well, thanks.

I'll shut up now.

:lol:

The newcomer's question was met with a general lack of enthusiasm, ridicule, sarcasm, and jokes, by multiple people because, surprise,surprise, this forum,like ALL forums, has expected standards of behavior, and timelines for replies...

Etiquette works both ways and many would say that one should always aim to lead by example. If sarcasm and ridicule are part of the norm greeting then one could say the idea of lurking is flawed from the start because it would only induce more of such behaviour.

Often we encounter people who ask the wrong questions or who consider points incorrectly or from the wrong angle and replies like "google it" "search for it" are not going to help them because they are already looking the wrong way. Sometimes one has to exercise either silence or patience when dealing with others since how you treat others is going to directly affect how they reply. Put them on the defensive first with an assault and things tend to go downhill fast and things quickly become about the score and not about the content.

Generally speaking I'd like it if more people would either turn to help someone - either try to direct them toward the right questions to consider or toward the right answers - or if they feel they can't be bothered with "another mum with a camera" type thread then just put on a new music track and walk away from the thread. I fail to understand this compulsion some have to be horribly derisory toward strangers.

Seriously overread, you need to go back and review the actual timeline,and the way the OP handled her post. Your incessant attempt to compromise and please everybody seem rather patronizing in this instance. Really, they do. You are exhibiting a real Polyanna attitude,more so than normal. Please review her major 'tude upon returning basically two days later to a semi-mature thread...

Seems almost like a troll to me. And seriously, I wish you would please stop making excuses for her. She came, posted, and never returned until the weekend was almost over, and when she did, her poor form and general lack of respect for the way things actually work here resulted in MOST people responding negatively to her because she had violated the actual way this place works in the REAL world.

Not the fantasy,ideal world. Not just one person reacted negatively-it was pretty much a demonstration of how societal norms actually function. Group dynamics in action. Let's all pray for world peace tonight. Black and white, living in harmony. Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney. Ebony and Ivory, living in harmony. Are you familiar with the cultural references here?

Search term: camera recommendations
results:

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - Search Results

It goes on and then ends on the 14th page

Get yourself a D40 with some good lenses.
I pickup up one used with 3 lenses for $600.00 and it works great.
Not a lot of bells and whistles and easy to use.
Lot of pros use it as their backup.

I am a "new" student in college. I am taking a program for my bachelors in Photography. I need an SLR camera. I would like to get your opinion on the kit I seen at walmart. It was a canon camera (rebel i think) in a box with an 18-55mm lens, and small tripod (which I have a larger one), and card, battery, strap, case etc.. anyways It was all that for 500 dollars. Would I be wasting my time with such a camera, or should I look on ebay? I seen a really nice nikon D70 at pawn shop for 850.00, with everything (flashes, batt paks, hard case, cables, owner manuel, Cards, and two lenses 18-70mm and 70-300mm I think 300mm) But NO warranty on this at all. it is sold as is.. .. so "What would you do?" buy the one at walmart, or the one at the pawn shop?

Go with the new camera from Wal-mart. The D70 was a good camera in it's day, but that kit sounds over-priced to me and it is "old" technology. Assuming that the Canon is current technology, it will have greater resolution (The D70 is only 6.1Mp), better high-ISO noise handling and other things.

You only need one thing to be pro.

"
gyro.gif
skills"

Lmao still at it huh

Where do I begin in photography? When I get the camera, do I start with "Auto" mode? I want to start from the beginning, and learn this stuff through and through. I do have the photoshop CS5, and adobe lightroom, and Illustrator. Photoshop is so exstensive and intimidating to me. I have messed with very little in it. I have alot of photos I can mess with right now, but my fujipix camera broke.. so until I get a new SLR, im gonna focus on editing in photoshop (from the beginning).. O and photo organization.. what is the best way to name your files and file them correctly?.. Ugh.. I got so many questions here.. I want to learn it all in one day.. Please someone guide me:)

head -> desk

Where do I begin in photography? When I get the camera, do I start with "Auto" mode? I want to start from the beginning, and learn this stuff through and through. I do have the photoshop CS5, and adobe lightroom, and Illustrator. Photoshop is so exstensive and intimidating to me. I have messed with very little in it. I have alot of photos I can mess with right now, but my fujipix camera broke.. so until I get a new SLR, im gonna focus on editing in photoshop (from the beginning).. O and photo organization.. what is the best way to name your files and file them correctly?.. Ugh.. I got so many questions here.. I want to learn it all in one day.. Please someone guide me:)
Some instruction materials are a handy way to start, and they are built right into CS5.

Open CS5. Click on HELP at the top of the workspace, in the drop down box click on - Photoshop Help.
Notice just to the right is shows that F1 is the shortcut for Photoshop Help.
All the drop boxes show keyboard shotcuts on the right side of the box that are available. Not all functions have keyboard shortcuts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back