Beginner wanting some critique

Post processing makes a huge difference. This was a quick 3 min adjustment in Light Room. I am very new to photography as well so this might not be technically correct but it is much clearer.

View attachment 77723

Wow mike that made a huge difference.
What exactly did you change?

Here's my exif data for some of the photos. I could only find it for 3 of them.

Rock Wall:
Iso-100
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/80
Focal length-18mm

Water Beading:
Iso-250
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/500
Focal length-300mm

Sunset:
Iso-200
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/80
Focal length-55mm

Here's an example of one of my grainy photos:

View attachment 77745

Iso-400
Fstop-22
Exposure-20 sec.
Focal length-18mm

I think you overcooked that one there Mike ^^

OP, where in NZ are you?
Your noise issues will likely come from using a high ISO (1600+). Your camera is pretty entry level so doesn't have the best high ISO noise performance, but then again it's pretty new so it shouldn't be bad enough to worry unless you're pushing it up to 3200 or more. Noise will be worse in the shadow areas of the photo, and is exaggerated if you brighten these areas in post.
Your lens won't be the sharpest as it's only a kit lens, but again it won't be terrible and it won't cause any noise, just (slight) overall softness.

Taranaki bro.
Lots of awesome scenery here to photograph.

I shoot at a reasonably low iso most of the time so I don't see how that could be the problem.
I have a new lens arriving hopefully this week so it'll be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

Cool, always good scenes of Mt.Taranaki down there to shoot.

In the shot you posted, the longish exposure of 20 seconds combined with 400 ISO is probably the culprit, as well as possibly your editing techniques. Long exposures are quite bad for noise as the sensor heats up during the exposure. There is a setting hidden away that you can turn on, long exposure noise reduction, which will fix a lot of that. The only downside being it takes twice as long to take a photo because the camera takes a second long exposure straight after the first one except it leaves the shutter closed which should in theory result in a completely dark photo. Any noise present in this 'dark' exposure is then subtracted from the first photo. It works quite well, have a look in your camera's manual to see how to turn it on.

I think you overcooked that one there Mike ^^

OP, where in NZ are you?
Your noise issues will likely come from using a high ISO (1600+). Your camera is pretty entry level so doesn't have the best high ISO noise performance, but then again it's pretty new so it shouldn't be bad enough to worry unless you're pushing it up to 3200 or more. Noise will be worse in the shadow areas of the photo, and is exaggerated if you brighten these areas in post.
Your lens won't be the sharpest as it's only a kit lens, but again it won't be terrible and it won't cause any noise, just (slight) overall softness.

Yeah I tend to go oversaturated with my PP but I just wanted to do a quick adjustment to show the clarity. Still very new as well but learning.

Post processing makes a huge difference. This was a quick 3 min adjustment in Light Room. I am very new to photography as well so this might not be technically correct but it is much clearer.

View attachment 77723

Wow mike that made a huge difference.
What exactly did you change?

Here's my exif data for some of the photos. I could only find it for 3 of them.

Rock Wall:
Iso-100
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/80
Focal length-18mm

Water Beading:
Iso-250
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/500
Focal length-300mm

Sunset:
Iso-200
Fstop-5.6
Exposure-1/80
Focal length-55mm

Here's an example of one of my grainy photos:

View attachment 77745

Iso-400
Fstop-22
Exposure-20 sec.
Focal length-18mm

Fokker is right I did over do it but like I said I am still starting out as well. Yes iso has a lot to do with it but if your sensor is overheating due to the long exposure then that is a problem. I do a lot of night shots and shoot lowest f and iso and up the exposure time. It's just a matter of playing with your camera and getting to know what combination works best with your set up.

Here I toned it down a little.

Adjustments in LightRoom (if you want to try LightRoom you can for free for 30 days)
Temp -7
Exposure -.71
Highlights +5
Clarity +10
Tone Curve
Darks -18
Shadow -48

$Seagul_1 (1 of 1).jpg

Ok thanks.
I had a play around in photoshop last night and have learned some new tricks so hopefully will be better in the future.
Also I just got my new lens yesterday, the canon efs 17-55 f2.8 is usm and can't wait to get out and use it so just waiting on the weather now :)
Do you think I will notice a marked improvement in image sharpness/quality over the kit lens?
I thought 400 was a low enough iso that noise wouldn't be a problem? Or does that change with exposure length?
One more thing... I am looking to buy some filters especially a polarizing filter. Would this be suitable: Hoya Digital Circular Polarizer - CPL 77mm | Trade Me

400 ISO is pretty low, but longer exposures can develop noise even at ISO 100.

I have the same CPL filter as that one ^^ TBH it's not great, you could do better for the money, or spend more and just get plain better.

400 ISO is pretty low, but longer exposures can develop noise even at ISO 100.

I have the same CPL filter as that one ^^ TBH it's not great, you could do better for the money, or spend more and just get plain better.

Ok, could you recommend a good one that's around the same money as I don't really want to be spending much more than $50ish on it.
Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back