Beginner wanting some critique

LimePanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I am a student just starting out with photography and would love some feedback/critique on my photos.
I'll upload some here and more on my flickr here.
Looking forward to getting some feedback :)

Last edited:
I'd say the first one is the best of the 3, second seems a little over sharpened / saturated for me, I like the idea of the 3rd one.

Interested in what your current setup is .. how are you doing post etc..

Thanks for the feedback so far :D
Yeah I agree with you.
I have a softer one of the seagull but it seemed to lack the "pop" I wanted it to have.

View attachment 77495

I'm shooting with an EOS 1100D mostly with the 18-55mm kit lens.
As far as post goes I am using CS6 but am a total beginner and am not that good with it yet but am learning fast.
And heck, I don't even know how accurate my monitor is lol.
I quite like the contrasting themes of the BMW photo but just couldn't do it justice.
Have you checked out my flikr photostream?
Let me know if you want the Exif data for any of the photos and I'll put it up.

Welcome to the forum!!
Congrats on posting your first shots!!
1. This is a nice shot. I enjoyed the layers of colors in the sky. The tree on the right gives the shot a nice minimalist feel.
2. What a little cutie. hehe Yep, he's a little over processed.
3. The background is a little distracting. I might of shot this one straight on. The moss around the symbol might of been interesting...ages it. =)
Keep shooting!!

Yes i like number 1

Seagull Example.
Got his guy yesterday on my dock.
10401918_711908958881398_1765644473709853541_n.jpg

Yep, your seagull shot tells a story. =)

I have a softer one of the seagull but it seemed to lack the "pop" I wanted it to have.

The soft version looks better. Be subtle with sharpening. A little goes a long way. You'll start introducing noise if you use too much, which you have to compensate for with noise reduction, and before long, it looks like a "posterize" effect.

You've composed these three well, the subject matter is interesting. Only trouble I see is the processing.

I have to say, I've never seen a BMW covered in moss before. I like the first and third a lot, and out of your second batch, I'm a fan of the third. Simple, minimalist, leading lines, and clean.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Quick question... My photos often are quite grainy/noisy even before any post at all and at different camera settings.
I just can't seem to get my photos as sharp and clear as everyone else's on this forum.
Why would this be?

i like the sunset / sunrise.... the flying rats do nothing for me

Yeah it was quite a strange sunset, like a orange disk showing through the storm clouds.
I was a bit slow getting the camera out so it had cleared up quite a bit but I still like the photo.
Do you not like the seagulls because of composition, lack of action or just not like seagulls in general? lol.

Anybody got any ideas about the excessive noise?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Quick question... My photos often are quite grainy/noisy even before any post at all and at different camera settings.
I just can't seem to get my photos as sharp and clear as everyone else's on this forum.
Why would this be?

Post the camera settings and we may be able to tell you why. Shutter, f and iso...........

Thank you so much for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it :D
Yeah I'm trying to shoot lots and get at least one "good" photo every day lol.
Would you guys mind giving me some feedback on some more photos of mine.

View attachment 77542

View attachment 77543

View attachment 77548

Post processing makes a huge difference. This was a quick 3 min adjustment in Light Room. I am very new to photography as well so this might not be technically correct but it is much clearer.

$Seagul (1 of 1).jpg

I think you overcooked that one there Mike ^^

OP, where in NZ are you?
Your noise issues will likely come from using a high ISO (1600+). Your camera is pretty entry level so doesn't have the best high ISO noise performance, but then again it's pretty new so it shouldn't be bad enough to worry unless you're pushing it up to 3200 or more. Noise will be worse in the shadow areas of the photo, and is exaggerated if you brighten these areas in post.
Your lens won't be the sharpest as it's only a kit lens, but again it won't be terrible and it won't cause any noise, just (slight) overall softness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back