Beginning photography tips?

unixguy57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

im eddy,and im 15 years old.

Ive recently been taking alot of pictures with an old camera i found in the attic. The camera is a nikon FM2. I dont have a scanner,or else i'd show you some of my shots. I mostly take pictures of architectual things and almost anything in nature. Is my camera decent for a beginner? Any tips for the beginning photographer?

edit:
oh and,i would really like to develop my own prints. Where should i start to do this?

Thanks

Hey Eddy! Welcome!

The FM2 is a fine camera at this moment in time (Nikon has really good glass). The best advice may be to take a lot of photos all the time. If at all possible record exposure, time of day and general lighting situations. Compare the notes with the results. Buy at least two books. One on basic photography so that you can learn the technical side of the art. The other on Photographic history or masters of photography. This will provide inspiration and give you an idea of the beauty of the art.

Look to the local Art Association and or Community College or High School to develop your own prints and negatives. The process is somewhat involved, so try it and then decide if you want to invest in the gear.

There are only a million theories on getting started. One thing for sure is; photography is a life long journey. Things may be frustrating at first, but if you love it you will never leave it.

If you want to learn about processing and printing then here
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
is a good place to start.
You could try using the search facility if you want to be specific. But if you ask a general question the nice people there will start you off.
General Q&A is the best place for your other questions.
I'll leave your post here for a bit but if you don't get any responses I'll move it for you and see if you fare better there.

By no means am I up to par with most here but craig is correct, once you start you never stop. I have a second major in photography, ten years ago, (studied under Leslie Krims - check out his work - on second though, he is a bit controversial and your parents may not approve). Anyway, after setting photography aside for many years I'm back into it. One of the great things this forum has is the themes board. It will give you ideas of things to go out and shoot. Sometimes you can wonder aimlessly with a photo in your head but never see it in life. These "assignments" help you keep shooting. Photography is fun, frustrating, exciting and by far the most interesting hobby, career, sport whatever. You meet interesting people, your eyes start to see things that others don't see. I'm rambling again. Enjoy!

Hey,thanks for telling me about Lesle Krims. I looked out some of his photos online,and went the library and checked out a book that shows some of his work. His photography has alot of personality,and is very good.

What are some of the greatest photographers and/or ones you like?

Most reactions

Back