Beginning Photography, Where to start? (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't complicated. Everyone has a different opinion which can tend to only confuse a person starting out. I recommend you do what most others have done and do a search for say, the top ten best beginners cameras and just pick one that you like. Do some research on understanding cameras, basic photography techniques and practice them. You will gradually become more familiar with photography and you can write your article based on your own experiences as you go along, which to me would be more genuine and interesting. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Oh, one small thing, I noticed this in a couple of your sentences. I'm not judging or trying to be a spelling d*** but since you are a writer starting out I'm thinking you would appreciate this writing tip along with the photography tip, don't start sentences with the words, "But" or "And".

It isn't complicated. Everyone has a different opinion which can tend to only confuse a person starting out. I recommend you do what most others have done and do a search for say, the top ten best beginners cameras and just pick one that you like. Do some research on understanding cameras, basic photography techniques and practice them. You will gradually become more familiar with photography and you can write your article based on your own experiences as you go along, which to me would be more genuine and interesting. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Oh, one small thing, I noticed this in a couple of your sentences. I'm not judging or trying to be a spelling d*** but since you are a writer starting out I'm thinking you would appreciate this writing tip along with the photography tip, don't start sentences with the words, "But" or "And".
Thanks

#1 to be a good photographer you should love it...... this way everything you learn comes easy... and is fun...

Wait, you don’t know anything about Photography but you’re writing a magazine and your first issue is about how to get started in Photography? Why would you write about something you know nothing about? What type of magazine is this? Or is it your other response that you’re trying to learn Photography that’s the truth? Or you’re interviewing others about getting started in Photography for your magazine? I don’t think you’re being honest with your true intentions.

Currently writing articles for my magazine, since its the first issue, I thought the first article should be about How to start Photography.
Alas, I am not a photographer, so I'm puzzled on where to start myself.
Would anyone help me with this? what is the first thing a photographer needs? where do they start? what is the first lesson and technique they learn?

and if possible, if any writers see this, do you already have an article on this? would it be okay for me to use it in the magazine?

I know there are videos out there on this but i want a more personal perspective that videos may not include, as well as experiences
Hi there. I think you've already gotten lots of good pointers to help you get started.

I appreciate that, at the age of 22, it seems quicker and easier to just ask others about a topic you have decided to write about. How much interest do you really have in photography? If you have a lot, then I will play the role of tough old newspaper editor and say, "Get out there and learn it yourself, kid." It may not be fast, or easy, but it WILL answer your own questions and, seriously, give you something real to write about. "My Experiences as a Newcomer to Photography."

Do you want to really be a writer, a photographer, or both? If you're going to put out a "magazine," is your intention to only have one article, on a subject you know nothing about? What's the next article going to be about? Will you show up at an auto-enthusiasts forum and ask members there to give you information on the best vehicles on the market? And after that....?

To be a writer is to have some self-knowledge, and some actual life experiences to draw from. Not completely, of course - research is part of writing, and how much will depend on your subject. Yet in your first post you are asking, not just research-based questions from our experienced photographers, but literally asking others to spoon-feed you enough information that will enable you to cobble together a few paragraphs about "How to Start Photography." Or just take their own work and use it to further your cause.

I see the link up there to Strobist, and you've likely come across lots of other informational blogs and web sites. Learn about the dangers of plagiarism and copyright issues.
hopefully, I can stay on this site, the admins think I'm trying to advertise and solicit but I'm really just trying to figure out photography itself but I know how I write the posts out is probably what's given off that vibe so i need to be careful about my wording.
This is true. If you really want to learn photography, then this site is the best place on the internet, if I say so myself. :icon_mrgreen: Of course, you can stay. But if you're just flying by in an effort to avoid doing any real work to inform your articles on this pet project, the magazine, then this place may not be a good fit.

Websites like the Strobist have good introductions into photography: Strobist

First thing any photographer needs is of course a camera.

Any piece of art is supposed to either attract, disgust or fascinate the viewer.

The most important ingredients to a good photograph is creativity, lighting, and composition, in that order.

Creativity of course is always the thing one wants most, and is impossible to teach. One can learn how to be creative, though. Basically you need to get your subconscious get involved.

Lighting is why lighting gear, or sometimes your tripod, or if neither artificial lighting nor a tripod is an option bright lenses and large sensors are your friend. Specifically external flashes give you a huge amount of creative freedom for your photography.

Composition is really just part of technique. You can learn it.

First thing to get would be IMHO:
- A camera with professional controls, which allow to set the most important photographic parameters quickly. Like a Nikon D700 ($500 and falling, used).

- A prime lens in the area of 28mm to 60mm full frame equivalent (wide to normal). Good choices for Nikon would be Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f2.8 SLii, Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 ZF, Nikkor AF 35mm f2, Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8, Voigtländer 58mm f1.4 SLii, Nikkor AF-S 58mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 60mm f2.8 micro.

- A flash and a flash cable. Ideally a Phottix remote triggerable flash.
That is a very precise tip. I like how you put everything in order. It's really great. And camera suggestions are also very helpful not only for beginners. Thank a lot!

Wait, you don’t know anything about Photography but you’re writing a magazine and your first issue is about how to get started in Photography? Why would you write about something you know nothing about? What type of magazine is this? Or is it your other response that you’re trying to learn photography that’s the truth? Or you’re interviewing others about getting started in photography for your magazine? I don’t think you’re being honest with your true intentions.
My true intentions are to provide information to beginners on where to start. Please don't mistake this as anything else.
If I want to write about photography, I have to learn about it and ask for help. I'm the only person doing this so it's difficult to write for a photography section that I don't know anything about, which is why I am researching and learning about it. Learning about photography has been a very fun experience and I am very much interested in it personally. I am just asking where to start.
This magazine is about providing educational resources to people who have no clue about where to begin.
This is a personal project of mine and even though it may not be popular or hardly read, it's still a learning experience for me and I find it worthwhile to do it.
I would very much appreciate it if you could help me, if not, then I ask you to leave this thread as your replies are not beneficial to my research.

Currently writing articles for my magazine, since its the first issue, I thought the first article should be about How to start Photography.
Alas, I am not a photographer, so I'm puzzled on where to start myself.
Would anyone help me with this? what is the first thing a photographer needs? where do they start? what is the first lesson and technique they learn?

and if possible, if any writers see this, do you already have an article on this? would it be okay for me to use it in the magazine?

I know there are videos out there on this but i want a more personal perspective that videos may not include, as well as experiences
Hi there. I think you've already gotten lots of good pointers to help you get started.

I appreciate that, at the age of 22, it seems quicker and easier to just ask others about a topic you have decided to write about. How much interest do you really have in photography? If you have a lot, then I will play the role of tough old newspaper editor and say, "Get out there and learn it yourself, kid." It may not be fast, or easy, but it WILL answer your own questions and, seriously, give you something real to write about. "My Experiences as a Newcomer to Photography."

Do you want to really be a writer, a photographer, or both? If you're going to put out a "magazine," is your intention to only have one article, on a subject you know nothing about? What's the next article going to be about? Will you show up at an auto-enthusiasts forum and ask members there to give you information on the best vehicles on the market? And after that....?

To be a writer is to have some self-knowledge, and some actual life experiences to draw from. Not completely, of course - research is part of writing, and how much will depend on your subject. Yet in your first post you are asking, not just research-based questions from our experienced photographers, but literally asking others to spoon-feed you enough information that will enable you to cobble together a few paragraphs about "How to Start Photography." Or just take their own work and use it to further your cause.

I see the link up there to Strobist, and you've likely come across lots of other informational blogs and web sites. Learn about the dangers of plagiarism and copyright issues.
hopefully, I can stay on this site, the admins think I'm trying to advertise and solicit but I'm really just trying to figure out photography itself but I know how I write the posts out is probably what's given off that vibe so i need to be careful about my wording.
This is true. If you really want to learn photography, then this site is the best place on the internet, if I say so myself. :icon_mrgreen: Of course, you can stay. But if you're just flying by in an effort to avoid doing any real work to inform your articles on this pet project, the magazine, then this place may not be a good fit.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do agree with a lot of what you have said. Although my goal in life is neither being a professional writer or photographer, this whole experience has been worthwhile. I personally love to learn and experience photography myself, I do have an interest in photography. So this project is also a personal interest for myself of learning different kinds of arts.

I have definitely picked up books and researched articles myself so I'm not depending on professionals to spoon feed me information, but I thought maybe some personal experiences of others would help me.
I have interviewed a photographer before, asking them about equipment, their clients and experiences and listening to their stories have truly blown my mind of how much effort photography is. I truly want to share experiences and information like these with people in the world.
I do plan on writing more than one article, not just about how to start but other topics such as; Lens, Equipment Reviews and College vs Self Taught.

I'm buying a camera to start out on, along with equipment, and I have asked a few photographers to bring me along to show me the ropes so I can grasp and understand myself. I bought movies and videos and How To, along with books about Lightening Control, Perspectives and The Importance of Angles.
I have also bought books on professional writing and article structure so my articles are not a pain to read.

I do want to provide authenticate and honest information to readers, not copy and paste work from other articles, then slap around poorly made articles.
I am putting all my effort into this project, whether it flops or not, I still believe it's worthwhile. So everything you have said to me, I greatly take into account.

Personal experience from yourself or article writers is one of the key points.
Fake reviews and pumped up payed for reviews of products typically leave a very bad taste in the mouth of those reading the 300 word wonders online today.

Personally, graphics with simple but complete and comprehensive information is a key.
forget the word count.

Another point to be made (unfortunately this is extremely true today) those who do not know how to write an article, or sorce know little if anything of the product.

Modern education as it is has led many people to learn industries through Youtube.
That like writing a Doctorates from Wikipedia.

Plus, VERIFY!

Dont repeat Der Spiegle.

Personal experience from yourself or article writers is one of the key points.
Fake reviews and pumped up payed for reviews of products typically leave a very bad taste in the mouth of those reading the 300 word wonders online today.

Personally, graphics with simple but complete and comprehensive information is a key.
forget the word count.

Another point to be made (unfortunately this is extremely true today) those who do not know how to write an article, or sorce know little if anything of the product.

Modern education as it is has led many people to learn industries through Youtube.
That like writing a Doctorates from Wikipedia.

Plus, VERIFY!

Dont repeat Der Spiegle.
Will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back