Best $500 DSLR

sultan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I am planning to but my first DSLR to replace my old Canon Powershot A70 for more artistic photography. I am planning on buying some time this year. I am interested in nature photography (landscapes and animals) so I will probably buy both a normal and a tele lens. I am on a tight budget; the most I can spend is $500 on a body and I can spend another ~$350 on lenses. Should I buy a D40 (soon) or K100D (right away) or should I wait for the D60 or K200D's price to come down. Also, what lens(es) would you recommend?

Get the best you can afford. I would personally go for the k10d at $650 from B/H combined w/ a 50mm f/1.4 for another $200. If you play the waiting game and wait for prices to drop, you'll never have anything. In the electronics world if it's computers, cameras, etc., whatever just was put on the shelf is almost out of date anyway. I bought my k10d just last year and it is being replaced by the 20d. The 200d seems almost identical to the k10d not sure exactly what the difference is.

Hello. I am planning to but my first DSLR to replace my old Canon Powershot A70 for more artistic photography. I am planning on buying some time this year. I am interested in nature photography (landscapes and animals) so I will probably buy both a normal and a tele lens. I am on a tight budget; the most I can spend is $500 on a body and I can spend another ~$350 on lenses. Should I buy a D40 (soon) or K100D (right away) or should I wait for the D60 or K200D's price to come down. Also, what lens(es) would you recommend?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

For wildlife stuff that's not in a zoo, believe me you'll want at least a 300mm lens. I'm pretty sure I've seen Nikon D40 / 18-55 / 70-300VR combos for around the total price you're willing to spend. Check Adorama and B&H via the links at this forum.

I wouldn't consider the D40. If a new $500 range camera is ideal, look into the Rebel XT or XTi.

If you want Nikon, look for a used D70...they can be found for $500 easily. Also, a friend sold his D100 on eBay for too cheap, I think under $400, and it's a great camera.

I'm not anti-Nikon, just anti-D40.

I agree with the above anti-d40 statement.

Look into an XTI or maybe a D70..

I mean, there is nothing wrong with the rebel XT either. You are smart for spending money on glass and not always the body

agreed D40 has too many limitations, when you first get it you'll be happy but as you grow the camera will not grow with you. The D70 is a good camera and will grow with you.

Yet another on the "avoid the D40" bandwagon unless you get one DIRT cheap as in used/refurbed for under $400 with kit lens. Then consider it.

The D40 is not a bad camera by any means, it far exceeds the results from any P&S however what I think most people are saying is it does not give much room to grow. If you never want to do anything more than take quality photos of your family, friends, vacations etc its a great camera and a great value. However the original poster stated he/she wants to get into more artistic photography which leads me to believe this person is intereted in a DSLR for more than just snapshots. If this is correct it would be beneficial for this person to buy a camera that is going to allow the user to grow with it.
You stated in your other post the D40 has made Nikon jump ahead of Canon in Japan. I believe this is true because the D40 is a fantastic everyperson camera complete with scene settings and fully automatic modes, its a far better camera than any P&S but not as intimidating as other larger less automatic DSLRs.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with Mav that the D40 is great for most things. Digital camera are changing very quickly and I would want to get a current model. I cant find a used D70 here in canada. I've found a used D50 body for $20 MORE than the D40. I think I'll go for a D40 kit with an 18-55 and a 55-200 VR.

BTW - How is the D70 better than the D40?

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with Mav that the D40 is great for most things. Digital camera are changing very quickly and I would want to get a current model. I cant find a used D70 here in canada. I've found a used D50 body for $20 MORE than the D40. I think I'll go for a D40 kit with an 18-55 and a 55-200 VR.

As long as you're aware that some lenses won't autofocus with the D40, it's without doubt the best bang for the buck available today.

For autofocus, look for AF-S.

Better is a very relative term.. To those who need commander mode for off camera flash, bigger camera, more lens choices would consider the D70 better.

Those who do not care about such things would consider the D40 better (maybe?)

I for one opt for more options. The D70 delivers more options, so its better. (well, at least to me in my logic)

Also check and see if you can trade up your Canon Powershot A70. That could drop the price a bit. Henry's might give you something for it.

So far, the best deal I've been able to pull off was a Samsung GX-1L (Pentax *ist DL2) with kit lens USED for $200. Paired with a collection of K-mount manual takumars the kit is a blast and my new knock around camera (My other DSLR is a Canon).

I'm more incline to recommend Pentax (K100D, K200D, K10D, or K20D) as a good start for a budget camera setup for a person who is inclined to pursue and experiment with photography.... good bang for buck... backwards compatibility with manual screwmounts (M42) and K-mounts (great for small budgets).

Most reactions

Back