Best $500 DSLR

What everyone wants to say is that the D40 is an excelent camera, but if you need all your lenses to auto focus you will either need to spend more money for the more expensive AF-S Nikons or go third party. With that in mind you can read reviews to see how great the D40 is and compare it to the other great entry level SLRs to see which one is better for you. Look into Canon and Olympus too.

My opinion on the D60 - i can't say i like it. A couple of new features (most of them gimmick-y) don't make it worth the price over a D40 and too close to a D80. I am sure that it too will take excellent pictures though.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm looking at the D40 kit with the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR. I will only but AF-S lenses and I am fine with manual focus. The pentax K200D is currently too expensive and I dislike Olympus cameras - specifically their small, noisy four-thirds sensor and their overbearing NR to make up for it. The Canon Rebel XT has a small screen which I dislike and is old and the XTi is a bit too expensive.

One last question - Will sensor dust be a problem if I change the lens indoors about 5 times a week? How often will it need cleaning? What would be the best way to clean the sensor?

I change my lens quite oftn inside and out, some dust will get on it. I choose to clone it out but when a larger dust spot appear I just you my sensor cleaning brush. When I got my first DSLR I was obsessed with keeping dust off my sensor. at this point I rrealize its a fact of life and I dont let it stress me.

In over 20,000 photos combined on both my D40 and my D80, I've never needed more than just an occasional blast from a little blower bulb thing to get rid of dust. Right now my D80 has some in a few spots, but you can barely even see it shooting a blank wall at f/11, so it'll never affect any of my photos. The larger the aperture, the less you'll be able to see any dust. Usually I'm shooting at f/5.6 or larger apertures, so no problemo.

No mention of an Olympus e-410 or 510?? are thses cameras junk???

My sig says it all if you say they are, I thought(DSLR Newbie) for the cash they looked like a good deal with an option or 2 more than the Canon XT Rebel I almost bought...any thoughts?:D

Bob

Ah! I see! hehehe :D

This is great news, because I lied. I do have a Nikon, but it's an old 3 mp job. Does take fantastic photos though (except for the dead pixels).

Nikon owners are also better looking, more personable and more intelligent than Canon owners.

No mention of an Olympus e-410 or 510?? are thses cameras junk???

My sig says it all if you say they are, I thought(DSLR Newbie) for the cash they looked like a good deal with an option or 2 more than the Canon XT Rebel I almost bought...any thoughts?:D

Bob

I know people who love their Olympus systems. Haven't tried them myself, but have heard they are decent. I think Mav has a fever of "I have a d40 so it must be awesomer than any other cameras".

I don't see a lot of Pentax mentioned in these threads for that matter either yet, I know they're out there.

I know people who love their Olympus systems. Haven't tried them myself, but have heard they are decent. I think Mav has a fever of "I have a d40 so it must be awesomer than any other cameras".

AHH!!!! Ok, I have not had mine long and I am new to DSLR or SLR's for that matter, I think it will make me a good starter cam for the price..

Bob

I don't see a lot of Pentax mentioned in these threads for that matter either yet, I know they're out there.

Guess you overlook my many post up there... :wink:

Pentax was the last of the major companies to really put out a DSLR that competes.... the name has lost much of the luster of the 60-70s when they were one of the most innovative. It doesn't help that most consumer electronics stores don't carry their gear either...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check the buy/sell section. My D40X is listed for sale for what I think is a very reasonable price.
Tom

Final options:
1. Buy a D40 + 18-55 + 55-200 VR for ~$800 CAD in 2 months
2. Buy a Pentax K100D + 18-55 + 50-200 (both with in body stabilization) right away for $700 CAD

Which one do you reccomend? I'm tempted to get the Pentax at closeout price.

Go with the Pentax, simply for in body shake reduction, and lens compatibility. Remember, ANY Pentax K mount lens will work on it.

Most reactions

Back