DigiJay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.naturalstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for a zoom lens. I would like 300mm or more and I've got roughly $1000 to spend. I can increase the budget slightly if necessary.
For a Nikon D200.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Most is the 18-200mm I don't recommend it. Think of a zoom range. I could recommend a 10-20mm or a 70-300mm but how would I know you didn't want something in the 18-70mm range :p

www.photozone.de <- many many reviews and measurements of lenses of all types.

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for a zoom lens. I would like 300mm or more and I've got roughly $1000 to spend. I can increase the budget slightly if necessary.
For a Nikon D200.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

A lot depends on what you'll use it for. I bought the 18-200 a month ago and couldn't be happier. It's my "walk around" lens that I use when I'm involved with family events. I can take a group photo one second and zoom in on the new baby's face the next. Admittedly, for any one shot, one of my other lenses is much better but the 18-200 can't be beat for convenience and versatility.

The VR works better than I had expected and the only problem has been reminding myself to be aware of subject movement.

are you really looking for a zoom lens? or just generally for a tele lens? If the latter, than you could think about 300mm primes. I am not an expert on Nikon, but there must be nice 2nd hand ones in that price range.

You could get a sigma 70-200mm lens. I saw one gor for 510 used and it came with a teleconvertor.

The longest lens is probably the Sigma 50-500mm. I don't know how good the IQ is, but if you're just looking for length, that's your lens.

A lot depends on what you'll use it for. I bought the 18-200 a month ago and couldn't be happier. It's my "walk around" lens that I use when I'm involved with family events. I can take a group photo one second and zoom in on the new baby's face the next. Admittedly, for any one shot, one of my other lenses is much better but the 18-200 can't be beat for convenience and versatility.

The VR works better than I had expected and the only problem has been reminding myself to be aware of subject movement.

Come on now youre just being silly!! The guy has $1000 to spend on a GOOD lens to put on a D200. I know some of you 18-200 die-hards think this is the bes lens since sliced bread but it just aint especially for this situation.

So now for the lenses if you want a long lens something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207360-USA/Nikon_1996_80_400mm_f_4_5_5_6D_ED_AF.html might work. If you want a normal range zoom you might go this way http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html There are tons of choices out there it all depends on the range you want.

Come on now youre just being silly!! The guy has $1000 to spend on a GOOD lens to put on a D200. I know some of you 18-200 die-hards think this is the bes lens since sliced bread but it just aint especially for this situation.

So now for the lenses if you want a long lens something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207360-USA/Nikon_1996_80_400mm_f_4_5_5_6D_ED_AF.html might work. If you want a normal range zoom you might go this way http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html There are tons of choices out there it all depends on the range you want.

Yeah, I forgot that you were a Ritz clerk and that makes you an all-knowing optics engineer.

From what the OP said it seems that he's looking more for a long zoom, and not really the convenience of the 18-200, so it doesnt really fit his situation at least from what he says. From what he says id say the 80-200 2.8 with a teleconverter (i think it can use one cant it?) would be the best bet. That way for your 80-200 range you still have the 2.8, and when you need a longer reach, your up to 5.6 with a 2x tele.

From what the OP said it seems that he's looking more for a long zoom, and not really the convenience of the 18-200, so it doesnt really fit his situation at least from what he says. From what he says id say the 80-200 2.8 with a teleconverter (i think it can use one cant it?) would be the best bet. That way for your 80-200 range you still have the 2.8, and when you need a longer reach, your up to 5.6 with a 2x tele.

You're probably correct it's confirmed that the converter works (I don't know if it does).

Me, I would get an 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor if you want shorter ($800 bucks), or if you can STRETCH that budget a bit further the very good 80-400 VR Nikkor is $1300ish... It is a bit slow and the AF isn't for sports, but it is quite sharp and well behaved.

The 80-200 is a beast of a lens, sharp as a tack and in every way outstanding...

Yeah, I forgot that you were a Ritz clerk and that makes you an all-knowing optics engineer.

Nope I just know about that lens from all the reviews I have read and comments that even people that like it make. Besides I have alot of experience with lenses in that range in general and have never seen one that was good. But I digress the OP did ask for more zoom not convenience.

Me, I would get an 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor if you want shorter ($800 bucks)

For an excellent quality GP zoom lens, this would be my recommendation as well. There are two models of the 80-200 f/2.8....the AF-S & AF-D. The AF-S has the silent wave motor, which focuses slightly faster, but IMO, for a cheaper price, the AF-D image quality is superb. If you shop around, you can occasionally find one in the $600-$700 range, which leaves enough coin for a good quality 1.4 or 1.7 tele-converter, which would give you a respectable 280mm or 340mm (resp) f/4.

Nope I just know about that lens from all the reviews I have read and comments that even people that like it make. Besides I have alot of experience with lenses in that range in general and have never seen one that was good. But I digress the OP did ask for more zoom not convenience.

You do realize that, if you blow up balloons at the county fair, you also can call yourself a rocket scientist.

Whoa.. didn't check this thread for a day.. lots of responses...

I should have included more info..

I ALREADY have an 18-200 haha.. so thanks to those who suggested it (I do love it b-t-w).

I would consider prime, but I prefer something with a zoom. I was using a Sigma 300 prime all weekend, and I didn't like the fact that the odd shot was actually too close.
something between 150 or 200 and 400 (or anywhere in between) would be good.
I know the lens I used this weekend was worth about $3800, but I don't have the budget for that this year (after buying 2 cameras), and I would still like to do a bit of bird and wildlife shooting

Most reactions

Back