Best baby of 2014 so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we can add new born baby photo conversations to the list of things NOT to discuss. Politics, religion, guns and new born baby photos.

Yep, I'll stay away from those even more than wedding photography.

Nowadays it is even not recommended to have ANYTHING in the crib. Can't have blanket (unless you swaddle the baby with it), cant have stuffed animal, cant have pillow. I didn't follow the rules though.
These people would flip if they saw how I slept with my babies. In my bed, in between two adults and...PILLOWS...oh the horror.

thats just called irresponsible and uneducated.

Okay are we now critiquing parenting choices now? Hmmmm....people have been cosleeping since the beginning of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a former baby I feel like I can offer some insight.

Babies are very flexible, they spend 9 months inside a woman's stomach then get squeezed out a very small hole which is yet unknown to science. The point is a a quick session in which the child is under supervision by parents and a trained baby poser should not set off any alarm bells.

I think these are really good. If this were my kids, I would be happy with the results. I would have liked some closer detail shots, too. Maybe those are on your card and not posted. I like the pose in #4. Although unnatural, it's just really a good shot of the face!
I also like more baby and less background. Keep up the good work!

I think Jason seemed sincere, he doesn't seem to usually lock threads unless absolutely necessary. I'm glad that he and Dr. Brick spoke up and provided some medical information. My background isn't medical but is in education and child development with birth to three; I've taken infant CPR but thankfully have never had to use it.

The portraits are lovely but the positioning is a concern. As far as the photos from comments here some of the poses used didn't seem appealing to viewers. After 20+ years in early intervention I know if a position looks appropriate for the baby's age or not, and as I've started looking at newborn photography the use of the same type positions seems widespread. It certainly is beyond this thread or even this website that there seems to be a lack of awareness by photographers that the positioning being used could be dangerous.

I didn't realize til I started doing some research that a baby could start to slowly suffocate in 1-2 minutes of being in a position that compromises the airway. If nothing else if you try some of the positions you can feel how uncomfortable it can get, so how must it feel to a newborn with a tiny airway? I feel like if you're handling someone else's baby that puts you in a situation of being responsible for anything that happens; I hope someday there isn't a situation where a baby whose neck muscles might be weaker than typical for example and was positioned improperly by a photographer goes into respiratory distress or any life threatening situation.

Last edited:
The point is a a quick session in which the child is under supervision by parents and a trained baby poser should not set off any alarm bells.

That's the thing, without an oxygen sensor, there is no alarm bells, just a gradual fall off the developmental curve and a life-changing diagnosis.

I'm curious...where are all these "baby died in professional photoshoot" stories?? You KNOW the news would be all up on that...but alas...no stories....

I'm curious...where are all these "baby died in professional photoshoot" stories?? You KNOW the news would be all up on that...but alas...no stories....

They are in the same place that qualifies Pinterest photos to dictate medical safety.

But some of the problem Runnah is 'trained' baby 'posers' - the so-called training if it's found on places like YouTube could be posted by anyone, not necessarily someone with any expertise in proper positioning for newborns. There are even video tutorials and websites etc. that are demonstrating some inappropriate positions being used for baby photos.

There seems to be a need for more awareness and education of how to properly position a baby for photos that not only keeps the baby safe but keeps him or her in a position that doesn't compromise the airway.

Women photographers dont get respect here.... of course...because Sharon, or Limr, or Kay-thor, or PixelRabbit, or LaPhoto don't get ANY respect around here....

I did not say that. I said its hard to get respect. Which I am sure they would all agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I missed this thread!

I wasn't going to respond but since my name is specifically mentioned, I feel like I do need to say this:

No, I have not found it hard to get respect, here on TPF, nor as a photographer in general. And I *personally* think it has nothing to do with whether I am female or male, but with one single thing:

I think I've been treated pretty respectfully because I always try to GIVE respect. As far as TPF goes, if I have a REAL issue with someone or with a particular post, I'll either take it to a mod or at least to a PM. But I try to treat everyone with as much respect as I can muster, EVEN when they aren't necessarily acting "respectably."
Unless I haven't had enough caffeine. Then all bets are off. :lol:

Usually right next to the story about the 2 headed baby that found bigfoot and was then abducted by a UFO. Enquiring minds want to know, you know.. lol

Besides, I got my airway obstructed plenty of times when I was a toddler and it never .... umm.. sorry, what were we talking about again?

But some of the problem Runnah is 'trained' baby 'posers' - the so-called training if it's found on places like YouTube could be posted by anyone, not necessarily someone with any expertise in proper positioning for newborns. There are even video tutorials and websites etc. that are demonstrating some inappropriate positions being used for baby photos. There seems to be a need for more awareness and education of how to properly position a baby for photos that not only keeps the baby safe but keeps him or her in a position that doesn't compromise the airway.

So what you are saying is my "newborns with guns and fireworks" themed shoot is a bad idea?

They are in the same place that qualifies Pinterest photos to dictate medical safety.

Yikes.. would that be in the "Hey guys watch this" section by chance?

But some of the problem Runnah is 'trained' baby 'posers' - the so-called training if it's found on places like YouTube could be posted by anyone, not necessarily someone with any expertise in proper positioning for newborns. There are even video tutorials and websites etc. that are demonstrating some inappropriate positions being used for baby photos. There seems to be a need for more awareness and education of how to properly position a baby for photos that not only keeps the baby safe but keeps him or her in a position that doesn't compromise the airway.

So what you are saying is my "newborns with guns and fireworks" themed shoot is a bad idea?

Thanks Runnah. Totally blew my idea for the opposites challenge right out of the water there. Sheesh.

Again, death is not the concern. You're talking about an insult to the brain that can happen in minutes and won't show up for maybe years. Ask Dr Google about Cerebral Palsy. Plenty of news stories about that. Even the trauma of birth can cause it and that's something the body is DESIGNED to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back