Best baby of 2014 so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not have much experience with newborns; I raised several.
Newborns sleep, even in positions that are uncomfortable and even dangerous - look up SIDS.

Good idea. I found this:

Most deaths due to SIDS occur between 2 and 4 months of age, and incidence increases during cold weather. African-American infants are twice as likely and Native American infants are about three times more likely to die of SIDS than caucasian infants. More boys than girls fall victim to SIDS. Other potential risk factors include:

• smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
  • poor prenatal care
  • prematurity or low birth weight
  • mothers younger than 20
  • tobacco smoke exposure following birth
  • overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
  • stomach sleeping

Source

Only two of the items have anything to do with sleeping, and only one of those two items has anything to do with the position a baby is sleeping in, and that one says nothing about the position of the baby's head. Despite that you may well have convinced yourself to the contrary, raising several children doesn't make you an expert.

And, either way, I'm willing to bet that no baby photographed in those positions will die during the portrait session.

I think even a mild application of common sense is in order here...

I've raised 5 children, and did the requisite amount of studying and care.
Yet you have decided that, although you clearly don't know crap, that your opinion in this area means something.

Careful when you get down from that high horse, Lew You know, assuming you ever do. You're not the only one who's raised children, and you're not the only one who's studied raising and caring for children. But, hey, you just go ahead and keep on believing that you're somehow more qualified to discuss it.

But, you know, perhaps I was unclear. Let me re-state my point:

You're promoting the idea that a baby in such a photo shoot could die of SIDS as a result of that photo shoot.

That's stupid.

Hopefully my point is a but more clear, and will preclude the necessity for you to pretend that you know more about everything than anyone else...

Runnah there goes the TPF photo challenge idea for April...

Careful when you get down from that high horse, Lew You know, assuming you ever do. You're not the only one who's raised children, and you're not the only one who's studied raising and caring for children. But, hey, you just go ahead and keep on believing that you're somehow more qualified to discuss it.

Nope, what I am saying is that babies will sleep in positions that are dangerous for them.
And they will stay in dangerous positions because they aren't strong enough to get out of them.

Ok, probably just me here. I mean it's usually just me when it comes to stuff like this, but i can't help thinking that we spent all this time having gun pictures banned because of the snark that those threads would generate, and as it turns out all of that seems pretty tame by comparision when it comes to baby pictures.

I have to admit, didn't see that one coming.

LOLOLOL!!

As a former baby I feel like I can offer some insight.

Babies are very flexible, they spend 9 months inside a woman's stomach then get squeezed out a very small hole which is yet unknown to science. The point is a a quick session in which the child is under supervision by parents and a trained baby poser should not set off any alarm bells.

Sir, your common sense is unwelcome here...

Oh for the love of all things holy, please don't quote me Dr Sears. His anti-vaccine campaign that was based on a falsified study is the reason that measles, once thought to be completely gone in the United States is wreaking havoc left and right. The guy is a joke among the pediatric community.

Making the point that what you have is not absolute but your opinion and the way you treat your own children is one thing.
Putting other people's children in positions that are possibly dangerous is a very bad idea.

And trying to deflect informed criticism of the poses as bigotry is really unprofessional.

Ok, so to sum this all up - Lew raised 5 kids and then became a cowboy who apparently refuses to ride any steed smaller than 16½ hands. Pintrest probably isn't the best source for medical advice, Paige doesn't read the Enquirer, Sm4him's neighbors are all happy campers until the day the Folger's truck jackknifes on I-5 at which point they will be turned into ground chuck, we need to start putting SPOILER ALERT in huge letters at the top of all Runnah's postings.

I think that pretty much covers it. Did I miss anything?

Just that Runnah was once actually a baby so wasn't apparently hatched or crawled out from under a rock.

I think Jason seemed sincere, he doesn't seem to usually lock threads unless absolutely necessary. I'm glad that he and Dr. Brick spoke up and provided some medical information. My background isn't medical but is in education and child development with birth to three; I've taken infant CPR but thankfully have never had to use it.

The portraits are lovely but the positioning is a concern. As far as the photos from comments here some of the poses used didn't seem appealing to viewers. After 20+ years in early intervention I know if a position looks appropriate for the baby's age or not, and as I've started looking at newborn photography the use of the same type positions seems widespread. It certainly is beyond this thread or even this website that there seems to be a lack of awareness by photographers that the positioning being used could be dangerous.

I didn't realize til I started doing some research that a baby could start to slowly suffocate in 1-2 minutes of being in a position that compromises the airway. If nothing else if you try some of the positions you can feel how uncomfortable it can get, so how must it feel to a newborn with a tiny airway? I feel like if you're handling someone else's baby that puts you in a situation of being responsible for anything that happens; I hope someday there isn't a situation where a baby whose neck muscles might be weaker than typical for example and was positioned improperly by a photographer goes into respiratory distress or any life threatening situation.

Not for nothin', but I think it's wholly inappropriate to have medical discussions here, for a variety of reasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back