Best book for learning basic to advanced photography

anindya82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Which is the best book for learning photography from basic to advanced: Digital Photography Step by Step by Tom Ang, or The Complete Practical Guide to Digital and Classic Photography by John Freeman and Steve Luck?
please suggest.

I have the standard textbook, "Photography" by Barbra London and it covers the basics of everything. I think that is up to the 12th edition now, I have the 9th edition. It does read like a textbook and I treated it like a photography course and would go over just a section and then make sure I knew all the points and then a week later another section. It makes it easy to jump off into more advanced material on any topic, or if you already have covered a topic somewhere else you can skip that section.

Both are good authors. Perhaps buy both books!

Both are good authors. Perhaps buy both books!
Even better: Borrow them from your library. With the money you save, make more trips to the library.

I'm not convinced any single book will cover advanced photography. Basic & perhaps intermediate would be practical, but for advanced you tend to want a book that specializes in a specific field.

I'd also second @Designer's suggestion of checking out your library. As @Derrel says both are good authors (I've got multiple books by each) but you may find the style of one suits you better than the other's.

Most reactions

Back