Best compact travel camera

Dym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 80d and love it but I'm just looking for something a little more portable for travel and just for times when I don't necessarily want to lug the bigger camera around. I'm leaning towards a mirrorless and have looked into some of the Canons and Sonys but just wanted to see what you guys recommend. I would most likely just get a body and one decent all around lens for it. I don't necessarily need a big collection of lenses for this one since I have that with my 80d. Thanks for any advice!

There is no such thing as 'best'. If there were, it would be the only one on the market.

This is a very ambiguous question. Are you going to shoot images, video, or both? What exactly are the formats you want? Raw or JPEG? For video, what resolution do need. What focal lengths do you prefer?

And most important of all: What is your budget? No sense recommending a $1000 camera if you can only afford $500.

There is no such thing as 'best'. If there were, it would be the only one on the market.

This is a very ambiguous question. Are you going to shoot images, video, or both? What exactly are the formats you want? Raw or JPEG? For video, what resolution do need. What focal lengths do you prefer?

And most important of all: What is your budget? No sense recommending a $1000 camera if you can only afford $500.

It would be used mostly for images (travel, kids, etc). I shoot mostly Raw. Focal length I'd say somewhere around 18-55. And as far as budget I'd like to stay close to or under $1000 total.

There is no such thing as 'best'. I
I must respectfully disagree. The best camera is the one that you want to and will use. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

I do agree however, budge, intended use, and necessary functionality and features would be quite helpful to know.

There is no such thing as 'best'. I
I must respectfully disagree. The best camera is the one that you want to and will use. ...........

If you want it but can't afford it, it don't matter how über-fantastic and personally desirable it is.

Everyone's life is chock full o' stuff they cannot afford, despite how 'best' it all is.

What's your end use of the photos? Small prints? Online sharing? If yes...

If you did a Canon EOS mirrorless, you'd be able to use the same lenses (with adapter). But, and a big but here, check the size. It's not that much smaller.

Otherwise, if you're not planning on lugging around lenses and other equipment, and your focal length is generally between 18-55 mm, I'd suggest an advanced P&S.

Yes, they're a tad slower, and the photos aren't AS good (if you're a pixel peeper, you may want to think twice about it), but it can slip into a jacket pocket or purse easily, takes RAW format, allows the use of full manual controls to shutter and aperture priority (if desired), and will fit nicely within your $1000 budget. I find that I take more photos with my P&S walking around on vacation than I do my Rebel XSi or Olympus EM1, mainly because I want to enjoy myself on vacation. That includes paying attention to wife/family rather than photos.

I agree with gryph in that the best camera is the one that you want and use. When walking around the city, especially with family around, I'd rather just use my P&S.

Canon s95 P&S:

Olympus Tough P&S:

I have a Canon 80d and love it but I'm just looking for something a little more portable for travel and just for times when I don't necessarily want to lug the bigger camera around. I'm leaning towards a mirrorless and have looked into some of the Canons and Sonys but just wanted to see what you guys recommend. I would most likely just get a body and one decent all around lens for it. I don't necessarily need a big collection of lenses for this one since I have that with my 80d. Thanks for any advice!

I found the perfect pocket-size travel camera with "pancake" lens

(and it takes those big DSLR lens too )
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Funny the OP should as that question today.
I Finally Found the Perfect Camera

Thanks, I do love the 80d that I have, but am looking for a different style to serve a different purpose. Not necessarily looking for a perfect camera just something more portable for times when it isn't practical to carry around the bigger dslr. I was really just trying to hear any other options or experiences that I may not have thought of.

Funny the OP should as that question today.
I Finally Found the Perfect Camera

Thanks, I do love the 80d that I have, but am looking for a different style to serve a different purpose. Not necessarily looking for a perfect camera just something more portable for times when it isn't practical to carry around the bigger dslr. I was really just trying to hear any other options or experiences that I may not have thought of.

right, the key is portability and small and light weight for compact travel. (and the lens) Of course no camera is "perfect" but look at all the camera options.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

From Techradar...though other sites suggest similar cameras:

• Panasonic Lumix LX10 / LX15
  • Panasonic Lumix ZS100 / TZ100
  • Canon PowerShot G7 X II
  • Fuji X100T
  • Sony RX100 IV
  • Panasonic Lumix FZ2000 / FZ2500
  • Sony RX10 III
  • Leica Q (this one is pricey)
Review them and look at the specs. Once you know what you think you want, go and hold them to make sure they feel right to you. Purchase and enjoy. If you plan on enlarging any of your pics, pay close attention to sensor size and MP.
Keep us posted as to what you purchase and let us know what you think of your Compact Camera once you've used it a bit.

Most reactions

Back