TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my canon 350D and I have a budget of £300,
What's the best I can get for my money?
Cheers
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with that one? 300 is not a lot to work with in terms of upgrade. You should probably be looking for a Canon EOS T5i, EOS T5, or a EOS Rebel SL1 refurbished.

Its 300 pounds though, not 300 US dollars. I would guess thats around 500 US dollars ?

In my understanding the 350D is a VERY old camera (2005, 8 Megapixel). So a current model from Canon (100D/Rebel SL1, 750D/Rebel T6i, 760D/Rebel T6s, 70D, 7D Mark II) would indeed be a noticeable improvement - much faster processing speed, better white balance etc, more megapixels, lifeview, video, and so on.

Why don't you look at a d3300. 399.00 here in the U.S

Its 300 pounds though, not 300 US dollars. I would guess thats around 500 US dollars ?

In my understanding the 350D is a VERY old camera (2005, 8 Megapixel). So a current model from Canon (100D/Rebel SL1, 750D/Rebel T6i, 760D/Rebel T6s, 70D, 7D Mark II) would indeed be a noticeable improvement - much faster processing speed, better white balance etc, more megapixels, lifeview, video, and so on.
450 is the conversion so the 3 I recommended should line up and he can use current lens. T5i refurbished body is what I would look for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Canon T3i, T5 and T5i are all using very old sensors which are about 6 years old, if you want new Canon I would only get the T6i but I think its over your price.

If you are willing to jump ship then you should consider Nikon D3300 which has a better sensor then the older sensor canons.

Hmm I would like to stick to canon only because I have some lenses already, if I was to get a used one, what kind of shutter count should I be looking at?

Hmm I would like to stick to canon only because I have some lenses already, if I was to get a used one, what kind of shutter count should I be looking at?

I would just make sure it's Canon Factory refurbished. I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading 300,000 is usually the threshold on shutter counts. Reality tells me that most refurbs are sent back under warranty and typically would have a low shutter count. You can always ask prior to purchase if your worried.

I found an eos 700D with a shutter count of 25,000 for £340

I found an eos 700D with a shutter count of 25,000 for £340

That's low but is it a refurbished? Excellent DSLR in your price range. I believe that is the T5i here in USA. Good price but I would have to trust the seller, too much garbage on eBay. That is my opinion.

It's on a website and is labelled as new so we shall see :)
8d4043a7b9c757af819316efe5deebdc.jpg

ffb5c2f24ac3b21ac585fb859c38205b.jpg

Bare in mind that the 550D, 600D, 650D and 700D share the same sensor and there's virtually no
difference in image quality. There are other small differences so figure out which is the oldest that
you'd be happy with and get that since it'll be the cheapest. Add 60D to that list, same sensor again,
but a semi-pro body which should be available at that budget.

All of those are going to be a solid update from your current camera.
Next step up is the 70D & 750D/760D, rather new bodies.

However, the best body at that price (best sensor, IQ and low ISO performance) is the Nikon D3300
by a noticeable margin.

Wex photographic have a few used 700Ds 2-3K shutter count and in very good condition for just under £300. Plus they are a reputable dealer

Forgot to menion the shutter count in my last post.
They're all rated to 100k in this class I believe.

What about the Nikon D5300?? Is it worth the money or is the canon better?
It looks similar to the canon 700D

Most reactions

Back