Best DSLR/Mirrorless camera on a budget?

JesseTustin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since film is so expensive to process and takes a long time, I would like to buy a digital camera. At this point, I've learned to shoot completely manual on a Canon AE-1 Program SLR and get acceptable results almost every time.

I would prefer the camera operate similarly to a manual film SLR, but that may be hard to find under $500. Also, I would either like the Manual Focus to be easy to focus or to have an excellent Auto Focus feature. It doesn't need to be fast; it just needs to be precise.

I shoot mostly urban landscapes and do street photography on occasion (with the occasional portrait), so point-and-shoots or compact cameras are definitely options I'm willing to use.

I will absolutely buy equipment used.

What would you guys suggest for urban landscape photography under $500?

For that budget I would say look for a used Fuji x100s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSLRs are cheaper than mirrorless.
I would get an EM10 Mk2 but you can get more value for money with a D3400

You got the right answer from gryph -- get the Nikon.

Joe

If you already have a film Canon EOS SLR, you might want to focus on Canon EOS DSLRs, since they take the same lenses.

I would suggest getting a used 5D. It has a large sensor of the same size as film, so that stays the same. It also is something of a cult camera, praised for its colors, as is the successor Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which however is still out of your budget.

Manual focus works much better with mirrorless cameras than with DSLRs, because they usually offer focus peaking and magnification. I dont know how well the 5D supports manual focus but I know you can get alternative viewing screens from Canon for the 5D and 5D2.

The 5D of course also has autofocus. Its not known to be fast according to current standards, but it should be reliable enough.

If you already have a film Canon EOS SLR, you might want to focus on Canon EOS DSLRs, since they take the same lenses.

I would suggest getting a used 5D. It has a large sensor of the same size as film, so that stays the same. It also is something of a cult camera, praised for its colors, as is the successor Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which however is still out of your budget.

Manual focus works much better with mirrorless cameras than with DSLRs, because they usually offer focus peaking and magnification. I dont know how well the 5D supports manual focus but I know you can get alternative viewing screens from Canon for the 5D and 5D2.

The 5D of course also has autofocus. Its not known to be fast according to current standards, but it should be reliable enough.
The OP doesn't have a Canon EOS film camera. The Canon AE-1 Program SLR used FD mount lenses. That's why I tossed out both a Nikon and Canon for the OP.

To the OP: As for manual focus, it is a feature of film cameras that does not translate to the digital age as well as one might think. Well, not unless you want to add a replacement focus screen that has split screen focusing. Modern DSLR's do not come with split screen focusing because of the improvements in AF. Virtually all modern AF systems will meet your needs. Unless you are shooting sports then you do not need a specialized AF system. What the modern Digital cameras have now will serve your needs just fine.

Most reactions

Back