rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright everyone ...

I have been a PC user for some time, but recently purchased a 8GB, 500gb, i7 MacBookPro and have to admit that I have not really touched my PC Desktop lately for anything ...

Well I have come to the point, where I will be selling my PC, and need to purchase an External Hard Drive for my MacBookPro so I not take up all my space ...

What is the best External Hard Drive to use with my MacBookPro to have ALL of my photos on? I am thinking at least 500gb or up to 1TB, and hopefully it can be portable.

Please let me know what you guys think, use, or recommend...

Last edited:
I have Time Machine and I use iDisk and I use a Clik-Free.

So hey...I am thinking about the 7D....anything I should know? I already have the lenses, this is a camera upgrade from an XTI.

Thanks GryPhone ...

I come down to the two following:

Western Digital: My Passport Studio

or

G-Technology: G-Drive Mini

If you don't want to lose your photos, you need a real backup solution.

Other than that, I have to say, good luck when your external HDD dies on you unexpectedly. I mean, they don't have a die date or anything like that, so it is always unexpectedly.

Hey Village Idiot ... i definitely was not looking at the Portable External HD as a "back up" for my photos, but mainly to clear the space off my MacBookPro.

Although, that brings a good question. What would you recommend as a good backup source, if I have all my photos on a portable hard drive? Burn CD's of my shoots, file, and keep on external hard drive?

Or back up my portable hard drive to a desktop external hard drive?

Any feedback helps guys ... thanks

My backup consists of two external drives setup in a Raid 1 configuration with a third driver that is a third backup stored on site in a safe. Not a fire safe, a genuine security safe with a much better fire rating that most fire safes.

I also keep a final copy on an on line data storage site. Raid 1 is easy to setup with a Mac. The os has a built in utility for that.

I use a server and an external drive to backup the important files from the server.

DVDs are OK, but they can really start to take up space. I think I have over 800GB of photos on my server. That would be about 170 DVDs.

Most reactions

Back