Best geotagging device

oogaboogie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the best geotagging device to attach to my Nikon D5000. I have the GP-1 but it does not have an internal compass to give me heading information.

I will be in a helicopter taking pictures and so I would like a 3 axis geotagging device that records the bearing/heading information onto the EXIF header.

What can you guys recommend for a device?

Any help is appreciated.

My wife bought me a Easytagger online last month, it cost only[FONT=宋体] $[/FONT]108. I doubted the quality at very beginning, but It works well. Catches satellites fast and accurate, So I think is worthy. Enjoy your fun. :sexywink:

Just ordered a Easytagger Bluetooth GPS online, it’s supposed to arrival next week. Eager for it.

Let me know what you think! Not many people here are interested in this stuff so when I post about it I think people's eyes gloss over lol.

Also, do you have a link to it - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Thank you for the link, I wonder why the one for the D90 is different than the one for the D7000?

Is there anything like this for a Canon, specifically a T2i? Ive always liked the feature on my iPhone.

Thank you for the link, I wonder why the one for the D90 is different than the one for the D7000?

Since there is a L plug on D90 and also D7000, and the directions of the two plug are different.
D7000 has the same plug direction as D5000 and D3100

Opinion will vary, but what I find best and most useful is using a trekking GPS to record tracks and later use a software to geotag all the photos. In my case, I use a Garmin 62St to record my tracks and then the open source free software called "Geotag" ( link : Geotag )

The benefits
+ no annoying cables
+ nothing draining the camera battery
+ reception is better ( handheld trekking gps have a better reception )
+ most people already have a handheld gps lying around, so you can save your $$ instead of investing in a gps unit which plugs into your camera.

Cons
- Extra step of downloading the gpx track log from your gps device and running the software
- Need to pay attention about the UTC time offset, ( the time stamp on the photo and the gps logs may be different. The camera files are usually in local time , and the gps logs are in UTC. So the offset will need to specified, easily done in the software )

Its very easy to use and it tags all formats jpegs, nikon and cannon raw formats.

Hope the information was useful

Cheers :thumbup:

The benefits
+ no annoying cables
+ nothing draining the camera battery
+ reception is better ( handheld trekking gps have a better reception )
+ most people already have a handheld gps lying around, so you can save your $$ instead of investing in a gps unit which plugs into your camera.
@ That's why I went with Bluetooth, no cables.
@ Very minimal battery drain, and one less set of batteries to worry about.
@Reception is not better, depends on the device.
@Do they? You also have to figure in the cost of time and software. The free stuff is or at least was junk.

Most reactions

Back