What's new

Best geotagging device

oogaboogie

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey all,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the best geotagging device to attach to my Nikon D5000. I have the GP-1 but it does not have an internal compass to give me heading information.

I will be in a helicopter taking pictures and so I would like a 3 axis geotagging device that records the bearing/heading information onto the EXIF header.

What can you guys recommend for a device?

Any help is appreciated.
 
My wife bought me a Easytagger online last month, it cost only[FONT=宋体] $[/FONT]108. I doubted the quality at very beginning, but It works well. Catches satellites fast and accurate, So I think is worthy. Enjoy your fun. :sexywink:
 
Just ordered a Easytagger Bluetooth GPS online, it’s supposed to arrival next week. Eager for it.
 
Let me know what you think! Not many people here are interested in this stuff so when I post about it I think people's eyes gloss over lol.

Also, do you have a link to it - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
 
Thank you for the link, I wonder why the one for the D90 is different than the one for the D7000?
 
Is there anything like this for a Canon, specifically a T2i? Ive always liked the feature on my iPhone.
 
Thank you for the link, I wonder why the one for the D90 is different than the one for the D7000?

Since there is a L plug on D90 and also D7000, and the directions of the two plug are different.
D7000 has the same plug direction as D5000 and D3100
 
Opinion will vary, but what I find best and most useful is using a trekking GPS to record tracks and later use a software to geotag all the photos. In my case, I use a Garmin 62St to record my tracks and then the open source free software called "Geotag" ( link : Geotag )

The benefits
+ no annoying cables
+ nothing draining the camera battery
+ reception is better ( handheld trekking gps have a better reception )
+ most people already have a handheld gps lying around, so you can save your $$ instead of investing in a gps unit which plugs into your camera.

Cons
- Extra step of downloading the gpx track log from your gps device and running the software
- Need to pay attention about the UTC time offset, ( the time stamp on the photo and the gps logs may be different. The camera files are usually in local time , and the gps logs are in UTC. So the offset will need to specified, easily done in the software )

Its very easy to use and it tags all formats jpegs, nikon and cannon raw formats.

Hope the information was useful

Cheers :thumbup:
 
The benefits
+ no annoying cables
+ nothing draining the camera battery
+ reception is better ( handheld trekking gps have a better reception )
+ most people already have a handheld gps lying around, so you can save your $$ instead of investing in a gps unit which plugs into your camera.
@ That's why I went with Bluetooth, no cables.
@ Very minimal battery drain, and one less set of batteries to worry about.
@Reception is not better, depends on the device.
@Do they? You also have to figure in the cost of time and software. The free stuff is or at least was junk.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom