Best Lens for Arizona/Utah Trip?

Karembeu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have an upcoming trip next week to Arizona and Utah to go explore sites such as Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Zion.

I don't have much experience in photography but have recently tried picking it up with what little free time I have. So far, my only equipment is a T3i, 18-55mm kit lens, and the 50mm lens.

Since there will be a lot to take pictures of on my trip, I thought renting an ultrawide angle lens would be the best bet as I don't think my other two lenses would fare too well for purposes of landscape photography.

I was originally wanting to rent the 11-24mm lens but it is quite expensive and I am wondering if it is worth it or should I go with another lens? The 14mm caught my eye as well but my only concern is the fact that I have to zoom with my feet and I'm not sure how practical that will be at certain times (such as on a mountaintop). I was also considering the 10-22mm which is not a L series lens which is giving me pause. Is the difference in terms of quality between the 10-22mm and the 11-24mm really that big? The price is about 4x difference. Or do you all think a fixed length like 14mm will do the job for those locations?

Thanks!

11-24 is really a full frame lens. Rent the tokina 11-16 (recently replaced by the 11-20). The tokina is a great lens, made for crop bodies like the t3i. Enjoy the trip! I just went to Zion and that area this past spring and absolutely loved it

11-24 is really a full frame lens. Rent the tokina 11-16 (recently replaced by the 11-20). The tokina is a great lens, made for crop bodies like the t3i. Enjoy the trip! I just went to Zion and that area this past spring and absolutely loved it

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I did not even have that lens as a consideration. It looks like the winner! I did have a really quick question regarding the 11-20 that replaces it though. Is the 11-16 still a better choice? Or is the added zoom range not worth it for the locales I am going to?

Thanks again!

The extra 4mm isn't really that big of a deal, not sure why they even chose to add such a small amount of range. They might've done some improvements to the image quality (which was already really good). I used the 11-16 before I upgraded to full frame and its just a great lens.

Most reactions

Back