Grand Teton NP - equipment review

Well, sadly I have officially canceled my trip. I was able to get a full credit to be used on a future trip. Hopefully GTNP and YNP in 2021!
So sorry to hear this.
Actually, I hear Yellowstone and other Western parks are inundated. People aren't flying in, they're renting RVs and driving in (and the parks are short-staffed).

Well, sadly I have officially canceled my trip. I was able to get a full credit to be used on a future trip. Hopefully GTNP and YNP in 2021!
So sorry to hear this.
Actually, I hear Yellowstone and other Western parks are inundated. People aren't flying in, they're renting RVs and driving in (and the parks are short-staffed).

yes, I joined a couple of Yellowstone hiking Facebook groups and have been monitoring what’s going on and it seems like with almost all the in the park camping areas closed a lot of people are dispersed camping and it’s quite the **** show - literally.

Sorry you had to cancel, was looking forward to a possible meet-up!
I guess I am lucky to not see the s##t show :)
At the popular trail heads,, there are bathrooms. But I guess if its a 4 hr hike....?

This is what I see everyday....happy families, no political comments, just beauty...
20200809_071756.jpg

If you're going there, I highly, ( and I mean HIGHLY), recommend NOT going June, July or August. That is when 90% of people go. Just one big traffic jam, people from all over who have never been to an actual wild place and have no idea it's not Disney World.

Any time after they open up in spring until last week in May and anytime after mid Sept. until the first good snow. Or after they get the roads groomed and open up for winter. Winter is actually the very best time to go IMHO.

If you're going there, I highly, ( and I mean HIGHLY), recommend NOT going June, July or August. That is when 90% of people go. Just one big traffic jam, people from all over who have never been to an actual wild place and have no idea it's not Disney World.

True. We drove up from Jackson, WY over Labor Day years ago ultimately passing through Yellowstone and well into Montana. Then about Wednesday, we turned South and headed down through Idaho. While there were scads of folks on the Northbound drive, the parks in the Sawtooth Mountains were desolate.

Having the place to yourself always beats better weather and in this case the weather was the same. The difference: three days.

That's quite a lens collection. Have you narrowed it your final carry? For me it would be a wide telephoto, long telephoto and macro.

I’m hoping to reschedule for next fall. I would have traveled there today if I hadn’t canceled due to covid.

Looking at the weather would have been a good time to be there. Part rain, part light snow, part sun, lol.

They do close when the first big snow which used to be in the next couple of weeks, but with climate warming who knows now.

Yellowstone Weather

@SquarePeg ..who were you taking the class with? It turns out I have stood next to Joe Mangelson of photo fame this summer during bear jams...
We opted to stay with Jerrys maintenance job until closing, Oct 17. We had told them we may have to leave late Sept depending on weather and driving 40' Rv in any snow conditions.

@SquarePeg ..who were you taking the class with? It turns out I have stood next to Joe Mangelson of photo fame this summer during bear jams...
We opted to stay with Jerrys maintenance job until closing, Oct 17. We had told them we may have to leave late Sept depending on weather and driving 40' Rv in any snow conditions.

I was scheduled to go with Backcountry Journies. They don't really offer workshops or classes. It's more of a guided tour specifically for photographers. A small group of 12 and everyone is there for the same thing so no one whining about getting up early for sunrise or missing sunset because you're at dinner like when you travel with family!!!

Most reactions

Back