Grand Teton NP - equipment review

Discussion in 'Locations & Meetup forum' started by SquarePeg, Oct 22, 2019.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Keep me posted on your plans. If you’ll be in the area last week of September would love to meet up to go to Yellowstone together. I don’t think there’s any “free” time during the 5 days at GTNP.

I thought of you last month when I was on the Cape for the first time in years. It was beautiful in fall.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Next year, 2020? Oh, I thought you were going yet this winter. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. I’m a planner.

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    :Hail.sml:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Update as the actual plans are firming up! Arriving the day before the workshop flying into JAC and will stay in Jackson. Most likely will rent a car for a day as my flight arrives at 12:30pm and the tour doesn’t start until 6pm the next day so I’ll have some time to myself before hand. I’ll probably just drive the area around Jackson that we won’t be seeing on the tour. Suggestions that are not in GTNP or Yellowstone?

The tour runs 5 days ending mid day on day 5 covering a lot of GTNP. Current plan is to pick up a car rental on day 5 and head to West Yellowstone where I’ll be staying for days 5-8. I could stay inside the park by Yellowstone Lake but it’s more expensive and more remote as far as dining options/supplies/people... thoughts on West Yellowstone vs Yellowstone Lake?

Now that I know how much time I have (2 full days plus 1 half day on the end), I need to plan out my Yellowstone sites. I have a rough idea of what I want to see/do and will post that soon so I can get some critique/suggestions of my plan.

Would love some info on Yellowstone at night as I hoping to do some astrophotography - looking for info on good foreground options, spots to shoot at night that are easily accessible from the road with safe parking, expectations on having a scenic pull out or a boardwalk by the springs being completely deserted, traffic at night (light trails), ease of driving in/out at night etc.

Nancy lmk if you’ll be in the area 9/30 - 10/3 - would be great to meet up and shoot together or just grab a coffee and meet in real life!

if any other TPF members will be in Yellowstone during the 9/30-10/3 timeframe let me know.

6. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't offer you any tips on astro photography. I'll see if any of my astro photo friends have advice.

I don't have a recommendation of the Lake vs. West Yellowstone--it's a function of what you want to shoot and how far from the park you're staying. The Lake is superb for sunrise shots. Any body of water--that time of year you should see steam coming off of it in the early AM plus animals of all kinds will go there to drink/feed. So keep that in mind as you plan your mornings.

If you're fortunate to have gotten some snow and ice by the time you're there (possible), be sure to head to any geyser area--you'll see rim ice (all sorts of weird shapes) because of the combination of heat from the geyser and snow/ice. Entering from the West Yellowstone gate, you'll have good access to two iconic areas; the Grand Prismatic view, and the Norris Geyser Basin. But if you're coming from the South (from the Tetons, up 191) you may just find it easier to hit the Lake. The wolves and Lamar Valley are probably not do-able for you.

7. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all your insights and suggestions! After reading some bad reviews about the hotel by the lake - end of season short staffed bad service etc. I decided to book in West Yellowstone for sure. I think it’s a good choice for me with lots of options for food and shopping.

The way my plans have worked out, I’ll have 3 sunrises and 3 sunsets in Yellowstone. So far I’m planning on seeing Artist Point, Mammoth Hot Spring, Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Lake and Old Faithful. And of course lots of scenic lookouts along the way. I’ll make it a point to get to the Lake for at least one sunrise and maybe a sunset into night shoot. Who needs sleep anyway? I won't have a lot of time at each location but I’m ok with that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NancyMoranG

NancyMoranG Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Still waiting to hear back on job for Grand Teton this summer. Will keep you updated.
    Last year job ended 9/24 and had to leave the employee spot in 24 hrs. Maybe we could move RV to W. Yellowstone if weather is cooperating. We don't want to drive (basically 65' vehicle ) in any slippery roads ! :{

• Like Like x 1