Grand Teton NP - equipment review

Keep it simple. The 18-55 and the 50-230. Or better yet, decide between the 2 and bring 1. Peg, focus on the experience, let it overwhelm you prior and on location. Don't even give gear more than a thought. You are an excellent photographer and no matter what you use, you will be excellent. Your recent work with the "boring" 18-55 is impressive. Go have a great time and dial in your best lens that you wield. You are a 18-55 master.

I definitely plan to enjoy the wonder of it and hoping to be prepared so I’m not having to think too much about the gear.

any thoughts on the 18-135? I had someone show up with that paired with Xt2 at one of our photo meet ups and she was raving about it for a walk around lens.

Keep it simple. The 18-55 and the 50-230. Or better yet, decide between the 2 and bring 1. Peg, focus on the experience, let it overwhelm you prior and on location. Don't even give gear more than a thought. You are an excellent photographer and no matter what you use, you will be excellent. Your recent work with the "boring" 18-55 is impressive. Go have a great time and dial in your best lens that you wield. You are a 18-55 master.

I definitely plan to enjoy the wonder of it and hoping to be prepared so I’m not having to think too much about the gear.

any thoughts on the 18-135? I had someone show up with that paired with Xt2 at one of our photo meet ups and she was raving about it for a walk around lens.

Don't spend any money, just be you Sharron

Ok, wait, I spent 2013-2017 summers 40 miles from you at Cape Cod. Now you are going to Grand Tetons, where I hope to be working this summer!!?
Worked at Colter Bay Marina @ 6 miles from Grand Teton Lodge from early May til sept 25 ish..
Let's keep in touch as I hope to be rehired for this coming season.
I have Nikon equipment and a Manfrotto tripod that you are welcome to use.
Colter Bay had numerous sub-adult Grizzlies and black bears in our immediate area. I have some 1 yr old bear spray too. :)

Don't have one. However the new 16-80 is tempting

Don't have one. However the new 16-80 is tempting

Agree but currently on back order everywhere! Not on the lens rentals site yet. I’ll be keeping an eye out for reviews and photos made with that one. One lens to rule them all?

Backup your camera at least once per day and that to the cloud when possible.

I’ll have my iPad and will download after every session which will automatically back up to my iCloud storage. I’m also going to bring extra cards and not reformat anything until I have everything I need firmly backed up.

(re: Yellowstone)

We were there the second week in October. Stayed in West Yellowstone, MT. Visited the park three days, park entrance was closed one day due to snow. If it snows, they may close some roads, as they do not clear all roads within the park. Get the smart phone app that gives you updates on road closures in the park.

More later.

Last edited:
Not sure yet about Yellowstone. It's not part of the photo trip but I may fly in a few days earlier and go on my own - being alone would definitely limit where I am willing to go off road/path but it would give me a taste of it and since it is a very long flight for me I may as well take advantage of it. I might see if anyone else on the tour is interested in meeting a few days early to share a rental and spend a day or two there.
Although I've been through the Tetons, it was many years ago, so will not talk about that.

Yellowstone is worth a try, even in the winter. As I wrote above; get the app that informs of road closings.

Coming in the South gate, Old Faithful Geyser Basin is a fairly short drive, and is worth a stop. For one thing, there are other notable geysers nearby that you can walk to. Plenty to look at. Additionally, that is one of only two places in the park to find food in the winter. If you can call it that. After our first experience with the grill menu, we took sandwich makings the next time and made sandwiches in the parking lot.

The upper falls and the grand canyon are a relatively short drive from there. Everything takes time to get to, and the speed limit is 45 (and sometimes lower). There will be ice and snow in patches, so be careful. If you are unsure of driving a rental car in the park, see if you can book on a tour bus.

On my trip, I was primarily taking snapshots of the family at the places where we walked. I was hoping to catch a shot of bison with geysers, and I did get some, but nothing like setting up a shot with a tripod, etc. If you have a gadget bag that will hold camera, several lenses, and a short tripod, do that. I don't know what arrangements the photo tour has for the Tetons, but going on a tour bus might mean carrying only one bag.

I have about 500 shots to go through, and haven't started yet.

Not sure yet about Yellowstone. It's not part of the photo trip but I may fly in a few days earlier and go on my own - being alone would definitely limit where I am willing to go off road/path but it would give me a taste of it and since it is a very long flight for me I may as well take advantage of it. I might see if anyone else on the tour is interested in meeting a few days early to share a rental and spend a day or two there.
Although I've been through the Tetons, it was many years ago, so will not talk about that.

Yellowstone is worth a try, even in the winter. As I wrote above; get the app that informs of road closings.

Coming in the South gate, Old Faithful Geyser Basin is a fairly short drive, and is worth a stop. For one thing, there are other notable geysers nearby that you can walk to. Plenty to look at. Additionally, that is one of only two places in the park to find food in the winter. If you can call it that. After our first experience with the grill menu, we took sandwich makings the next time and made sandwiches in the parking lot.

The upper falls and the grand canyon are a relatively short drive from there. Everything takes time to get to, and the speed limit is 45 (and sometimes lower). There will be ice and snow in patches, so be careful. If you are unsure of driving a rental car in the park, see if you can book on a tour bus.

On my trip, I was primarily taking snapshots of the family at the places where we walked. I was hoping to catch a shot of bison with geysers, and I did get some, but nothing like setting up a shot with a tripod, etc. If you have a gadget bag that will hold camera, several lenses, and a short tripod, do that. I don't know what arrangements the photo tour has for the Tetons, but going on a tour bus might mean carrying only one bag.

I have about 500 shots to go through, and haven't started yet.

I’m not sure about ability to leave anything in the van so will only be bringing what I can carry each day for the Tetons. Backpack with 2 bodies and 3-4 lenses plus tripod and filters. Thankfully the aps-c mirrorless and lenses don’t take up as much room or weigh as much as full frame dslrs. I’m sure there will be mostly Canon and Nikon full frame shooters on the trip with much more to tote around than I have!

This trip is last week of September so snow could be a possibility. Based on photos from this years trip they got a dusting at least one day. I’m very comfortable driving myself. I’ll rent a 4wd like I have at home and be extra cautious of road conditions.

great point about the lack of food in Yellowstone . I will likely be doing a full day on the road each day so will need to have some supplies in the car if there aren’t a lot of options. Since I’ll likely be solo I don’t see myself venturing too far into any remote parts of the park or being on the road too late. I’ll probably stay overnight just outside the park for convenience sake and get in place for sunrise somewhere close to the entrance and go from there - wrapping up somewhere close to the park exit for sunset. All of my one day photo trips to the White Mountains have been good training for this!

Ok, wait, I spent 2013-2017 summers 40 miles from you at Cape Cod. Now you are going to Grand Tetons, where I hope to be working this summer!!?
Worked at Colter Bay Marina @ 6 miles from Grand Teton Lodge from early May til sept 25 ish..
Colter Bay had numerous sub-adult Grizzlies and black bears in our immediate area. I have some 1 yr old bear spray too. :)

Keep me posted on your plans. If you’ll be in the area last week of September would love to meet up to go to Yellowstone together. I don’t think there’s any “free” time during the 5 days at GTNP.

I thought of you last month when I was on the Cape for the first time in years. It was beautiful in fall.

Update as the actual plans are firming up! Arriving the day before the workshop flying into JAC and will stay in Jackson. Most likely will rent a car for a day as my flight arrives at 12:30pm and the tour doesn’t start until 6pm the next day so I’ll have some time to myself before hand. I’ll probably just drive the area around Jackson that we won’t be seeing on the tour. Suggestions that are not in GTNP or Yellowstone?

The tour runs 5 days ending mid day on day 5 covering a lot of GTNP. Current plan is to pick up a car rental on day 5 and head to West Yellowstone where I’ll be staying for days 5-8. I could stay inside the park by Yellowstone Lake but it’s more expensive and more remote as far as dining options/supplies/people... thoughts on West Yellowstone vs Yellowstone Lake?

Now that I know how much time I have (2 full days plus 1 half day on the end), I need to plan out my Yellowstone sites. I have a rough idea of what I want to see/do and will post that soon so I can get some critique/suggestions of my plan.

Would love some info on Yellowstone at night as I hoping to do some astrophotography - looking for info on good foreground options, spots to shoot at night that are easily accessible from the road with safe parking, expectations on having a scenic pull out or a boardwalk by the springs being completely deserted, traffic at night (light trails), ease of driving in/out at night etc.

Nancy lmk if you’ll be in the area 9/30 - 10/3 - would be great to meet up and shoot together or just grab a coffee and meet in real life!

if any other TPF members will be in Yellowstone during the 9/30-10/3 timeframe let me know.

I can't offer you any tips on astro photography. I'll see if any of my astro photo friends have advice.

I don't have a recommendation of the Lake vs. West Yellowstone--it's a function of what you want to shoot and how far from the park you're staying. The Lake is superb for sunrise shots. Any body of water--that time of year you should see steam coming off of it in the early AM plus animals of all kinds will go there to drink/feed. So keep that in mind as you plan your mornings.

If you're fortunate to have gotten some snow and ice by the time you're there (possible), be sure to head to any geyser area--you'll see rim ice (all sorts of weird shapes) because of the combination of heat from the geyser and snow/ice. Entering from the West Yellowstone gate, you'll have good access to two iconic areas; the Grand Prismatic view, and the Norris Geyser Basin. But if you're coming from the South (from the Tetons, up 191) you may just find it easier to hit the Lake. The wolves and Lamar Valley are probably not do-able for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back