Best Open Source or Free Photo Editing Software?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm used to Adobe Lightroom 5.7, I have installed on my 2015 Macbook Pro, love that it's pretty easy for me to get used to it's layout, been using it for a while, haven't needed to update it. However I have been wanting to use my Dell Precision T3500 to edit photos on a much larger screen and I don't like the idea of buying subscription or pay for a newer copy of Lightroom. So I was thinking about going Open Source/Free software and would like to figure out which one I should go with, having some input on what you think is good would be great. Thanks in advance.

So I'm used to Adobe Lightroom 5.7, I have installed on my 2015 Macbook Pro, love that it's pretty easy for me to get used to it's layout, been using it for a while, haven't needed to update it. However I have been wanting to use my Dell Precision T3500 to edit photos on a much larger screen and I don't like the idea of buying subscription or pay for a newer copy of Lightroom. So I was thinking about going Open Source/Free software and would like to figure out which one I should go with, having some input on what you think is good would be great. Thanks in advance.

If you want open source then I agree with Dennis -- 2nd for Draktable. Assuming in LR you processed raw files and will continue.

Joe

Here is a short list, of the "bigger" players.

Darktable is the closest to Lr in terms of capabilities. However it has a steep learning curve. The current dev branch has an active discussion going on about usability. So I would expect some good improvements over the next year or two. In many ways if you want complex image editing dt will surpass Lr by a mile.

Digikam works well, has descent organization tools, but like Photoshop and Gimp is a destructive editor. (Did not like it for this reason).

Raw Therapee works great to do basic image import, meta data and simple editing.

Lightzone, does not seem active anymore.

Gimp, is not an organization tool, it is a pure image editor, like Photoshop.

I have looked at many more. If there is one you have a question on, I can probably give a quick summary, and what feature was missing for me.

I have gone through most of then looking for something to match Lr. Until one does, I will likely just pay Adobe....

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

How does Darktable handle RAW formats?
It works with most of the cameras just fine.

Tim

But it would be prudent to check to see if it handles his current camera or the one he may be buying soon. Does Darktable regularly update their programs to handle the newest cameras?

darktable has had a fairly steady set of releases for the past two years that I have been watching it and occasionally trying it to see if I can make the jump to it.

In terms of camera support, that is provided by another open source project that dt depends on. Since I do not have a new camera I have not paid attention to how fast they are added. Based on the user questions I see new cameras are added on a regular basis.

Lr 6. Has been end of life. It is no longer supported. Therefore new cameras will not be supported. The only patch I would expect Adobe to consider would be a critical security flaw which causes bad PR. You can download and use the Adobe DNG converter which is free. Use this to convert raw to dng. Then manage dng in Lr.

I used photoshop and Lightroom for a while, but I recently started to use Affinity Pro and I love it. It has everything I need without extra features that I will never use. It’s very simple and easy to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I used photoshop and Lightroom for a while, but I recently started to use Affinity Pro and I love it. It has everything I need without extra features that I will never use. It’s very simple and easy to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Affinity is an very reasonably priced Photoshop clone and very capable as a pixel-level editor. One caveat: there's an issue with raw files. Affinity's raw file processing is forced destructive and any work you do with the Develop module in Affinity is discarded as soon as you convert the image to RGB. As such would not recommend it for use with raw files.

Joe

Affinity is an very reasonably priced Photoshop clone and very capable as a pixel-level editor. One caveat: there's an issue with raw files. Affinity's raw file processing is forced destructive and any work you do with the Develop module in Affinity is discarded as soon as you convert the image to RGB. As such would not recommend it for use with raw files.

Joe
What if we made a copy first, and worked on that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back