Best Osprey-Semi of the year

Looks like you're getting better and more "into" chasing these fish hawks around! Such a cool bird species.

Nice set and nice angles as well! I wonder if using a slightly faster shutter speed would sharpen the wing tips. #3 is my favorite.

Nice set and nice angles as well! I wonder if using a slightly faster shutter speed would sharpen the wing tips. #3 is my favorite.

I was at 1/1250 but the light wasn't great so I had to turn it down a bit.

Looks like you're getting better and more "into" chasing these fish hawks around! Such a cool bird species.

Thanks. It's a good excuse to get out on the boat for a couple hours.

Nice shots. I thought about you this weekend (scary thought right?)
A dude I am following on Flicka (not Flickr because that means something different) my bad!

Anyway, he has some really nice shots using the 5dm3 and the Tamster at larger than F8, and pretty slow shutter speeds. I'm actually surprised at the sharpness/quality. Not 400m 5.6L sharpness, but would work for me.
Take a look at some of these and let me know what your thoughts are. Sorry if this is a derail.
Eisvogel (Alcedo atthis) by Matthias Kahrs, on Flickr
Gimpel (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) by Matthias Kahrs, on Flickr
Eisvogel (Alcedo atthis) by Matthias Kahrs, on Flickr

A dude I am following on Flicka (not Flickr because that means something different) my bad!

Anyway, he has some really nice shots using the 5dm3 and the Tamster at larger than F8, and pretty slow shutter speeds. I'm actually surprised at the sharpness/quality. Not 400m 5.6L sharpness, but would work for me.
Take a look at some of these and let me know what your thoughts are. Sorry if this is a derail.

Aww

Part of me wonders if I got a bad copy or something because I really struggle to get sharp photos with the Tamron. Even in the best conditions it's still a bit blurry.

Aww

Part of me wonders if I got a bad copy or something because I really struggle to get sharp photos with the Tamron. Even in the best conditions it's still a bit blurry.

Did you af microadjust? I did but maybe it's time to revisit (I was not at the recommended distance when I fooled around with it the first time).
Guessing that guy was using a monopod or tripod. Not really my style but makes sense.

Aww

Did you af microadjust? I did but maybe it's time to revisit (I was not at the recommended distance when I fooled around with it the first time).
Guessing that guy was using a monopod or tripod. Not really my style but makes sense.

I am planning on ordering the calibration adjustment thing. I've shot with a mono pod for sports but not for birds.

Still soft and at high SS.
K52A0043 by runnah555, on Flickr

Definitely a nice set, looks like that lens is treating you well. And how the hell are people getting shots like that with the tamron!? I've had two copies now, one for my canon and now one for nikon, even doing AF adjustments I've never had any shots that look that good

Nice job Runnah! Don't be afraid to bump it up to ISO 400 and use 1/3 stop ETTR . I mostly shoot at 1/2000th for the Ospreys, really helps to sharpen them up when they are flying about.

Well, 25, 9 and 18 feet certainly helps in those shots. :)
Definitely a nice set, looks like that lens is treating you well. And how the hell are people getting shots like that with the tamron!? I've had two copies now, one for my canon and now one for nikon, even doing AF adjustments I've never had any shots that look that good
I think I had plenty of shots that looked pretty good with the Tamron. He is probably sitting in a blind with a tripod I would guess..

Most reactions

Back