Best overall lens?

GRUNTILDA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What lens would you guys/gals say is the best overall lens from nikon, sigma, tamron, tokina...etc is for the $200ish price point? Keep in mind this is if you were to only have one lens and just starting out.

Well, i could think of 4 options, depending upon what you want:

- Nikkor 18-105mm zoom lens for a good general zoom. No high quality in any respect, but okay if you buy it with the camera.
- Nikkor 18-55mm zoom lens for less telephoto power, but lesser macro abilities. Again only buy with camera, otherwise its too expensive.
- Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX prime. Zoom with your feet and enjoy superior low light power. 35mm is about the angle you have with your eyes.
- Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G DX prime. Again zoom with your feet. Need to get in distance depending upon subject. Again superior low light power.

I myself am currently using exclusively the 35mm prime. I just dont see how I also need the 18-55mm range since I can zoom by feet. Next week my 55-200mm telezoom will arrive, though.

There is no such lens because what is "Best" for one person is not necessarily the same for the next. I seldom use anything UNDER 150mm and frequently want more than 500mm.

The very best all around lens is the one you use most of the time!

I find myself shooting around 16mm to 80mm most of the time outside so I think at Nikon 16-85mm would do me just fine, my next buy I think> In low light you need a fst lens, so you have to give and take!

Last edited:
What lens would you guys/gals say is the best overall lens from nikon, sigma, tamron, tokina...etc is for the $200ish price point? Keep in mind this is if you were to only have one lens and just starting out.

Right. There is no "best" lens. Am I to assume that you will have only one lens for a while? Have you a Nikon body already? I have found that the "kit" lens often offered with the purchase of a body is probably the best value at the time. Now considering your budget, I might recommend either the AF-S Nikkor 18-55 G VR, or the AF-S Nikkor 55-200 ED VR as a good starting point. Both of these lenses are often packaged with an entry-level body and they will get you started making pictures without a lot of fuss and expense.

Well, i could think of 4 options, depending upon what you want:

- Nikkor 18-105mm zoom lens for a good general zoom. No high quality in any respect, but okay if you buy it with the camera.
- Nikkor 18-55mm zoom lens for less telephoto power, but lesser macro abilities. Again only buy with camera, otherwise its too expensive.
- Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX prime. Zoom with your feet and enjoy superior low light power. 35mm is about the angle you have with your eyes.
- Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G DX prime. Again zoom with your feet. Need to get in distance depending upon subject. Again superior low light power.

I myself am currently using exclusively the 35mm prime. I just dont see how I also need the 18-55mm range since I can zoom by feet. Next week my 55-200mm telezoom will arrive, though.

Zooming with your feet isn't the exact same as zooming with a telephoto lens (and the converse, zooming out isn't the same as using a wide angle).

a photograph taken with a 10mm will look drastically different than a photo taken with a 35mm, even if basically the same exact scene is in view. Same thing for a shot with a 200mm.

I'm still reacquainting myself with photography, and bought a D5100 kit a few months ago. The kit came with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. These have worked great to get me used to shooting again, and have decent results. The only other lens that I bought, was a 35mm 1.8. I bought it about a month ago, and haven't taken it off since (except during a recent trip to the coast). I bought it because my wife and I had our first son, and I knew lots of family would be visiting, and it doesn't require a flash most of the time. In fact, I've never used the flash with it on.

if you can get an 18-105 VR lens for $200, I personally think that is your best choice of the lenses you listed. it gives you a wide-ish angle, and a decent bit of zoom.
the quality is decent overall and the VR is a bonus when/if you need it. if you dont care about the VR, you can get a used Tamron 28-300 lens in that price range as well, and works
fairly well as an "all around" kind of lens.

Solarflare said:
Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G DX prime. Again zoom with your feet. Need to get in distance depending upon subject. Again superior low light power.

The 50mm f/1.8G is not a DX lens dude. All you need to do is google it if you are unsure. I knew that, and I don't even shoot Nikon. I'm a Canon guy myself. Internet search is your friend.

Sorry not enough coffee and confusion was still residing in ole neural net.

Last edited:
"18-55 and 55-300 lenses. These have worked great to get me used to shooting again, and have decent results. The only other lens that I bought, was a 35mm 1.8."

And want makes you think you need another lens? Is there a Need? or just want? If just a want then you would already know what range and speed lens you needed which would make it a need. And it most likely would run more than $200. Also what about flash? tripod? CP and ND filters? many other things can come in handy with the lenses you do have.

Huh? You're responding to somebody who isn't the OP, who said nothing about even buying another lens (besides the 3 he/she already owns), let alone "needing" one.

Full frame = 50mm f1.8 G
Crop frame = 35mm f1.8 G

You can't buy a good zoom for less then $200. At least not what I consider "good."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back