Are they just all the same??

wellbeloved747

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just picked up a d3100 and am looking to add a 55-200 lens to my kit when I got it I was almost sold the nikkor 55-200 but I looked around on the Internet and saw signa and tamron make a 55-200 lens but is there suck thing as a best? If not I will get at gig a or tamron as they are like half the price of the nikkor.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks Matt!!

If I interpret your posting correctly you are asking if there are differences between two lenses if both lenses have the same focal length, or range of focal lengths.

Yes.

Lenses have a lot of properties. Even purely optically, they have all kinds of errors. So two prime lenses who have the same focal length, or two zoom lenses who have the same range of focal lengths, may vary greatly in their optical performance.

Here an example of what errors a lens can be tested for: Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G - Review / Test Report - Analysis

There are also many non-optical properties. Build quality, weight, length, size of entrance (for filters), existence of image stabilization and its quality, etc etc etc

P.s.: On and I forgot. There range of focal lengths is not the only property of a lens. There is also the f-number. A low and consistent f-number over the whole range of focal lengths is an important property of high quality zooms.

Last edited:
If a particular Sigma lens is not an HSM lens or with Tamron a BIM lens they will not autofocus on your D3100. But I do believe most lenses manufactured for Nikon by Sigma and Tamron have built in focusing motors. As Solarflare stated all lenses of the same focal lengths are not created equal by far. That's not to say that Sigma and Tamron do not make good lenses because they do.

Jerry

I have just been told they won't auto focus if I want a lens that will will I need to get the nikkor 55-200

Matt; the two terms; "best" and "budget" are not compatible. Sometimes the differences in lenses are minute and therefore perhaps negligible for the average hobbyist, and sometimes the differences are stark, such as the qualities already listed above.

You and your budget will have to make the decision, but I would like to point out that the Nikkor 55-200 VR is one that is often put up for sale as a used lens. If you decide to purchase a used lens, you should purchase from a reputable dealer or a reliable person.

Matt; the two terms; "best" and "budget" are not compatible. Sometimes the differences in lenses are minute and therefore perhaps negligible for the average hobbyist, and sometimes the differences are stark, such as the qualities already listed above.

You and your budget will have to make the decision, but I would like to point out that the Nikkor 55-200 VR is one that is often put up for sale as a used lens. If you decide to purchase a used lens, you should purchase from a reputable dealer or a reliable person.

My 18-200 got stolen and I didn't want to spend the money to replace it as I already had lenses that covered most of that range so I got the 55-200 from Keh in like new condition for $137. That's not bad for a $250 lens.

Jerry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back