Best Phone for night photography

Marc456

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best phone for night photography

You want a larger sensor, wide aperture and manual control options.

Any of the top end Samsung phones would be good (S9, S10, Note 8, Note 9)

As the camera in the latest models is essentially the same as in the previous ones - look for a deal on an S9 or Note 8.

The P20 and P30 from Huawee, Huewau, Huweawie, whatever the name of Trumps favourite phone make is - have a good camera - but I don't think you need the fancy features for night photos?

Google Pixel also worth a look.

iPhone is no longer the leading camera-phone from a technical perspective - they are good, but no longer the best.

Huawei P30 pro hands down.

One of my collegues got a P20 last year I think and knowing I was interested in photograhy wanted to show off his new phone. Now, I don't really gush over phone camera quality but that was spectacular, you'd struggle to tell the difference between it and a DSLR. In low light it was spot on, almost no noise little NR (on a shot he took in a dark climbing centre). In another shot there was great dynamic range (sunny day harsh light landscape) shadow and highlight detail was preserved and both of these shots were SOOC jpeg. You could have easily printed both shots in regular sizes and they would have been sharp and well exposed. Nothing I've seen from anywhere else has even come close to this phones camera, and that includes the new iphones and samungs. It's really streets ahead of anything else.

HUAWEI P30 Pro, Leica Quad Camera, Low-light Shooting, SuperZoom | HUAWEI UK

Go to DxOMark.com They do excellent cell phone camera reviews (in addition to camera and lens reviews). Personally, I have an iPhone 8+ with dual 12mp cameras that works fairly well.

The Iphone

This is a useless and utterly lazy post since it doesn't provide why it would be the best phone for the OP's purpose and the lazy part should be obvious.

To the OP I think you have some excellent suggestions above.

I'd advice you to take one thing into consideration to take your decision: recently many brands, to not say all, have introduced the AI to take better pictures, at least according to them; having the AI active for night pictures makes all pictures look like to be taken at noon, the phone invents lights where they aren't. Thus, take information about how the phones behave with the AI disabled.

In India, there are many mobile phones which give good quality photos. My first choice is the iPhone but those people who cannot afford an iPhone then they can use other brands like Vivo Samsung etc. But iPhone is the best option for night photography

Most reactions

New Topics

Back